AquaC Remora Skimmer

AdeptMrSniffles

I have a Blue Thumb
Hey guys,

I was just browsing around on AquaCave's website and came across this "surface skimmer" for a Remora Skimmer.

http://www.aquacave.com/aquac-remora-surface-skimmerbr-for-maxi-jet-1200-pump-914.html

Was just wondering if anyone had a comment on it. I like the idea of hiding the pump and having a spot for some carbon or phosphate remover. I'm going to shape a piece of paper in the dimensions that it says to see exactly how much space it would take up.

Hey guys,

I was just browsing around on AquaCave's website and came across this "surface skimmer" for a Remora Skimmer.

http://www.aquacave.com/aquac-remora-surface-skimmerbr-for-maxi-jet-1200-pump-914.html

Was just wondering if anyone had a comment on it. I like the idea of hiding the pump and having a spot for some carbon or phosphate remover. I'm going to shape a piece of paper in the dimensions that it says to see exactly how much space it would take up.

I had one for my remora, but i never used it.... but my remora was in the sump so i didn't bother. Would probably be a good investment.

Ya, I'll probably invest in one. I just measured and folded the paper to see how much space it would use. I believe that it'll work nicely. It'll take up a corner and the side pretty much but I can place some LR over it I'm sure. Thanks!

I used to use one when I had a Remora. It worked well and did what it was supposed to. And even though it takes up space, a black box still looks nicer than a pump sitting out in the open.

Not to mention all the protein collects on the water surface like an oil slick.The box will help keep that stuff down.

I used one when I was running the Remore Pro. It worked fine. Just make sure you get the correct one to fit your pump. There are two different ones. One for the Rio, and one for the Maxi Jet

if you get one use bigger pump, on regular remora i ditched maxi jet and used rio 1400 from the remora pro and use rio 2500 on remora pro and than this skimmer will perform like it should. i had both of them on both my tank before i had a sump.

Only problem I could see with this addition is that if the water dropped below the water intake at the top it would make the pump run dry. Unless there are holes in the bottom/side, or if I drilled some in.

Are you talking about the surface skimmer box? If so, it doesn't have any extra holes in it. It's purpose is to only skim the water off the surface, so yeah, you could run into problems if your water levels dropped. I have one myself, and if I remember correctly, it was sufficiently deep enough to keep that from happening on my tank. You don't want your water levels dropping that dramatically anyways, the change in salinity isn't good for your animals.

Awesome, thanks for easing my mind. I was worried that it'd make the pump run dry quickly. My water doesn't evaporate too quickly so I think I'll be ok. I'm going to start stocking a 1G jug of freshwater to add between water changes just to keep it up.

I fired my Remora Nano up again tonight. MAN! I forgot how loud that thing is
!:frustrat: So I took the end of a glass cleaning sponge off of the rod and shoved it into the injection area, which reduced the noise by 50%. Then I just folded up a piece of paper towel and now all I hear is the water gracefully flowing back into the tank:bounce:. So far I haven't noticed any performance change. Same amount of bubbles being produced. Just thought I'd share that with anyone who was annoyed by the sound of the skimmer. :Cheers:

Back