Aquapod 12 gallon; model #7050

Matti

Reefing newb
I now have this nice new tank. I have been keeping my lights on and my temperature has been running around 82.2 degrees Fahrenheit without my adding a heater.

I don't know if this model has a heater. The Instructions for the 12 Gallon Model are so scant that I don't know if there is a heater. Is there such thing as a cooler if I need to cool down the tank to 78 degrees? What's a good one to buy??

This model number has two plastic things that look like bendable fingers. They let the water flow out from the back really fast, I guess like a power head. Do those help with oxygenation?

Thanks for answering my questions!!

Gratefully,
Matti:sfish:

Last edited:
yes the power heads help out. I have one on my 24 gal.
I would try to get your temp around 78. this is what I keep mine at. I will eventually have to get a chiller, because my dorm room doesnt have air conditioning so it will get hot. I do not know of any kind though.

Usually the heater is built in. 82 degrees is fine though, it's large fluctuations that you want to avoid. They make chillers, but they are super expensive and it'd be a challenge to find one for a nano. And yes, those help oxygenate the water.

Ya I just use the AC thanks to diffusion if my house is at 76 to 78 so will the tank be plus living in florida definently helps maintain correct temp.

Let's see. I have the following lights:

Dual Actinic blue color light-460nm and 420nm (made by SunPac) for corals
and invertebrates

Dual Daylight white 6,700K and 10,000K (SunPac) for photosyntesis

LED Lunar-Nocturnal Lights for night-time viewing and to aid in spawning of corals and other invertebrates

I have been keeping the Day on in day and the Actinic on at night so I can get this cycle finished, if in fact, it is not finished. Any advice would be appreciated. The temp now is 82.2 F.

Thanks,
Matti

you dont wanna run ur lights 24/7 in a cycle, since your tank is cycling only have ur lights on for 4 hrs or so (daylight and actinic) so that algae doesn't take over

Then when it is done set it up something like this

10 am actinic on
12 daylight on
6 daylight off
8 actinic off

also what temp do you keep ur house at? That may be why ur tank is to hott

if you can keep it lower than your fish can breathe easier and it is easier to aclimate animals and corals because most keep their tanks in the upper 70s

Hi,

I keep my room fairly warm because of my portable heater. I am cold natured, especially because this year winter decided to start over here in Ft. Worth for the 5th time. :grumble: The rest of the house is much, much cooler. I'll just dress more warmly and "get over it"! Summer, after all, could begin tomorrow!!

I priced a mini-chiller on ebay for a mere $315.00 (that won't be happening!!).

Thank you for your guidance. I sincerely appreciate it. Off it check my water now. Sleep well!

Matti

Dear Lorenzo,

Wow, $89 for a chiller; now that's a great deal. I didn't turn lights on my empty aquarium until a few minutes ago just to see what the temperature was without the lights, and it was 80.2 rather than 82.2, with the lights. I think I will get the chiller today!! That's just one of the many important things I won't have to sweat over (no pun intended). I have 3 other house-mates, and we don't have the same temperature needs at all; so, I cannot count on my thermostat helping me out. I like the house cold and they like it warmer.

Regarding the chiller, it's great that it is made just for the Aquapod 12--can't get any better than that; and, it also helps to cool the other lights as well.

Have a great day, and thanks again for your help.

Cordially,
Matti
Sincere thanks for your help!!

Matti

Back