Aquapod 12 REBUILD

nudy6969

RUSTYS BROWN DOUGHNUT
Because of my horrid algae problem, i decided to start my aquapod all over again. i got rid of everything that was in the tank, including fish, corals, rocks, and sand. Currently, i have a colony of about 20 polyps, a snail, clownish 15 lbs of live dry rock from marco rock, 5 lbs of live rock in the back compartement, and 20 lbs of caribean live sand. The temperature is about 86. The reason is becuse the room that the tank is in right now is not isolated properly compared to the rest of the house (strange problem). i am planning on moving the tank downstairs where the temperature is much cooler and then buying more livestock. once i move the tank it shoild have a regulat temperature of 79. i am also going to build a custom stand for it since the reqular aquapod one does not match my furniture.

Before:
DSC02554.jpg

DSC02552.jpg

DSC02474.jpg

and now

DSC03014.jpg

DSC03013.jpg

Last edited:
Honestly Nudy,it really didn't look really all that bad originally.The original rocks had a nice shape to them,a little maintenance like siphoning the cyano during a waterchange and a turbo snail could of taken care of the hair algae.It's a shame to toss out perfectly good live rock.

Good luck,hope things goes better the second time around.

I would have to agree with reef freak on that one. For any hair algae problems I have I have used a pin cushion urchin and it has worked very well. I keep the urchin in my sump and put the affected rocks in the sump and he cleans them. To control that algae when it comes back actually let me re-phrase that before it comes back cause it will, I'm not sure what how your system is set up but I would run carbon and phosban to control it. If you control it befor eit comes you will be much happier.

well if it is sitting in your basement and you have no use for it you might as well sell it or give it to the LFS for store credit

it never fails to make an appearance. its like joan rivers, always popping up in places you dont want it and its annoying and ugly as sin

Might as well get used to fighting cyano.It'll go away for a while,then will come right back.
But a good way to get a head on it,is to leave the lights off for 3 or 4 days.That will kill it out,but you'll have to do a water change when you turn the lights back on.When cyano dies,it releases nutrients that can fuel more of it.

Back