Aquarium lighting

fc_uk

Reefing newb
Hi everyone!

First post here, I am sure there will be more in the future.

I am starting off a saltwater aquarium with the end result being a reef/fish tank. I recently found an amazing offer at an aquarium shop in Jacksonville, FL for a 75 gallon aquarium (stand, sump, skimmer, light, the works) that I could not refuse.

The only item needing an upgrade for my purpose was the lighting. Right now it's got a 23 watt single T5. From my research and talking with the LFS, the guy who sold me that thank was not kidding (not that I thought he was); I need a new light.

So, I've done all the steps have gotten to the point that fish were added and now I slowly want to add invertebrates. I've a few clowns in the tank and a chepo mushroom coral, which is amazingly managing with the paltry single 23 watt T5.

Anyway, time to step it up with respect to the lighting.

The info: 75 gallon, 18x18x48 (w x h x w). That should be all you need for lighting info right? Aside from reef + fish.

What I want: I would really like to move away from the T5 and use LED without breaking the bank. I would also like to have a moon lighting option; I know it is not essential, but I think it would be nice to have. Built in timer is a nice plus, but not essential.

I have had my eye on this Marineland Reef Capable LED. I need a setup like this because I don't have a hood on the tank and will not hang from the ceiling.

My question(s) are:

1. Is this good? I would like this to be the price point, but if I need to spend more, I can, albeit reluctantly.

2.Which one do I really need? 36"-48" or 48"-60"? Seems to me that I ought to error on the safe side and purchase the larger unit, but wanted to make sure (especially given the lamp only dimensions on the site I linked).

Thanks in advance for the help! I'll try to help out when I can!

For question #2, You will need the 48"-60" fixture.
It's actual body length is 48" and the legs extend to fit up to a 60" aquarium, but the lights are still only going to be within the 48" body.

Go for the big one. I have a 4 foot long tank and got the Marineland Reef capable led 48-60" fixture, cause, exactly like rockstacker says, the body length is 4 feet, it will stretch but it will leave the sides without lighting. I have had this light for a year now, exactly, and I keep mushrooms, a duncan, zoas, button polyps,and have kept them successfully and with growth for a year. I just added a hammer and a leather, we'll see how they do. It stays cool and has an awesome moonlight. I am very, very happy with this light. That being said, I do not plan on keeping sps corals or clams and have no experience with them and this light. So I am not sure how they would do with high light demanding creatures.
You can check out my tank and my coral growth at Sarah's 60 under tank builds to see before and afters. You cannot beat the price of this light and the amazing shimmer effect it provides, no bulb changing, no heat issues. It's great.

Thanks for the welcome and replies everyone!

Sarah: your tank looks great! Right now mine is a little barren, but in time...

It is also nice to hear you are happy with that led light. Looks like I will be placing an order for this soon then.

Back