Aquarium Sharks

Olly

Reefing newb
I have found a species of shark I might keep, but I need info (size, feeding, tank size etc.)
The shark is called a Hasselts Bamboo Shark.
Any info readily accepted :)

Olly it looks like you have a 120 gallon setup. This is not large enough for a shark. They need more and more room as they grow. Sharks are no like other fish.

The hasselts bamboo shark can reach 2 feet long! This requires a lot of space to turn around. I've heard you need at least 3/4 the length of the shark in tank width for room to turn. Also swimming space is a priority, for any large predator. Although they look agile i assure you they are not.

Then there is the feeding issue. If not fed a fresh healthy diet it will not live long. Ive heard they only need to eat 2x-3x a week but that does not seem enough to me. Only fresh meat is an option for feeding. This can get expensive always giving a variety of foods fresh caught. (Unless you find a fish market with free scraps). :-)
Also in feeding fresh foods and the nature of how sharks feed the water quality can really get bad quick.

I'm not saying to not have a shark ever, just want to make sure you know sharks are not easy to care for. They require much more then most can handle.

I look forward to the day that I may own one of these magnificent creatures! But not until I have a setup that may properly house the shark.

Good luck!

Olly it looks like you have a 120 gallon setup. This is not large enough for a shark. They need more and more room as they grow. Sharks are no like other fish.

The hasselts bamboo shark can reach 2 feet long! This requires a lot of space to turn around. I've heard you need at least 3/4 the length of the shark in tank width for room to turn. Also swimming space is a priority, for any large predator. Although they look agile i assure you they are not.

Then there is the feeding issue. If not fed a fresh healthy diet it will not live long. Ive heard they only need to eat 2x-3x a week but that does not seem enough to me. Only fresh meat is an option for feeding. This can get expensive always giving a variety of foods fresh caught. (Unless you find a fish market with free scraps). :)
Also in feeding fresh foods and the nature of how sharks feed the water quality can really get bad quick.

I'm not saying to not have a shark ever, just want to make sure you know sharks are not easy to care for. They require much more then most can handle.

I look forward to the day that I may own one of these magnificent creatures! But not until I have a setup that may properly house the shark.

Good luck!
I understand why they are hard to keep (and expensive). BTW the tank is 120 UK gallons (I think UK and US gallons are different). Thank you for the info though :)

Last edited:
It's not a question of gallonage, it's a question of the size of the base. For something like that, at least 150cm x 50cm would be what I would use for the shark.

It's not a question of gallonage, it's a question of the size of the base. For something like that, at least 150cm x 50cm would be what I would use for the shark.
Ok. I think I will wait and try different fish before getting a shark. Perhaps in the future I'll upgrade but as for now I don't have the space or the money :)

While sharks are cool, they're not for someone that can't care for them correctly. They need quality food, even though they're scavengers. The food bill is not going to be cheap by any stretch.

They need space, LOTS of space. They need quality water, they're messy as hell and they will need lots of water changes to deal with the waste products they produce.

While sharks are cool, they're not for someone that can't care for them correctly. They need quality food, even though they're scavengers. The food bill is not going to be cheap by any stretch.

They need space, LOTS of space. They need quality water, they're messy as hell and they will need lots of water changes to deal with the waste products they produce.
Ok I'll get one somewhere is the future. I'll stick to some other fish. Probably the grouper I asked about before :)

:-) groupers are much better beginner fish. I just dont want to see you fail right from the beggining by getting a shark.

Cheers!

Back