Aquascaping

Nedim

Reefing newb
I really want to do rearrange my LR to make more sense of things in my tank. Ill probably take out the powerhead connected to the UV sterelizer and connect the output from the canister filter to it instead to make more space. And it looks like I'll need to take out the heater, the canister filter is warming the water enough, its at 82 degrees right now. My question is this-what is the best way to go about rearranging the LR? My initial idea was to put it in a container filled half way with my aquarium water and topped off with make up water. This way, I wont take out too much water from my tank. I'm also thinking about getting a trickle filter and attaching the protein skimmer to it, it takes up a LOT of space on my tank. Please send me your thoughts, I'm looking forward to this.

6 week old tank and I'm still rearranging rocks.ugggg!!!!!!!!!!!

I just lay them out on the styro cantainer or bucket,didn't remove any of the water.as long as there not out of the water to long you should be find.A sump,trickle,or refuge will save you some space.Your skimmer,heater and UV can go in them.

JellyMan said:
I feel your pain almost 4 months and moved rock last nioght.

Yeah,it looks so easy in theory.You think you have just the way you want it and the next day something looks off, end up rearranging them over again.Bought some Tonga branch to go along with the other rocks,have no idea how to put them together to make it look right.
I need to hurry up and get it right before I do something stupid like glue a coral to rock.

Help!I need aquascaping class!!!!

Last edited:
I wouldn't add any water either. You'll just have to take it out again in the end... When I redid my rocks I piled them all up on one side of the tank and just rearranged everything without taking the rocks out of the tank.

lol,,,yall aint right,,I'll explain aquascapeing like this,,,Just act naturally,,and yes that is an old Buck Owens song.

The problem with moving the rock to one side of the tank is that the tank is too small and the pieces are way too large to fit on one side.

On the plus side, the canister filter is working like a charm. The water is clear and its creating alot of surface agitation. Oh, and the skimmer is nearly broken in. Very few micro bubbles.

good deal here is what I would do wait till you go to do your next water change make your water and in the container that you make your water set your rock in it and aquascape 2 birds one stone Im glad to know that your equipment is working fine.

Sounds good Jelly, Ill do that. Let me ask you a quick question-Is distilled water suitable for water changes?

yes that or spring water will work fine I use distilled in my 29 gal reef tank no problems what so ever been going for 4 months now.

here is what I would do wait till you go to do your next water change make your water and in the container that you make your water set your rock in it and aquascape 2 birds one stone

Wow Jelly actually had a good idea ;)!!!!!

It is totally possible to rearrange your rock and corals by leaving them in your tank. I have been doing it for the last year and a half. The only thing you need to watch for is to see if any of your softies have attached between two rocks - that makes it a bit tricky, but still manageable. I remove all the corals and place them on the left side and make sure I am careful not to topple them and hurt the fishies. Be patient and careful and you will be fine. Just watch out if you have damsels, they tend to attack. Little :pooh: 's. God luck.

-Dr Marco:sfish:

Back