Aquavitro Salinity Users

texreefer

Battle Dwarf
I was doing my routine tests today , and have come across an issue.

During my test I found my Mag levels to be around 1230 using a salifert kit. I usually keep my levels around 1350-1400. Not knowing what may be soaking it up, i decided to test a new batch of SW, this has been mixing for about 72 hours and is kept at 80*. I do stir my salt prior to use and always have. My label shows that the seachem lab tested the batch with a result of 1376 , my test shows 1020 :shock:

I was scared that I had messed up so I ran the test again and got the same result.

Have any of you ran across this issue ?

One of the big selling points for me was the fact that they place the test results of the batch on the bucket. I have 2 more buckets and plan to test those as well, I will post the results here once I do the test.

It's either a bad test or a bad bucket. Might want to enlist the help of an LFS that'll test it for you, or buy another mag kit and see what it says. That's the only thing I can think of.

It's either a bad test or a bad bucket. Might want to enlist the help of an LFS that'll test it for you, or buy another mag kit and see what it says. That's the only thing I can think of.

Im taking some in tomorrow to the LFS to double check

You are mixing that salt WAY too long. Seachem suggest only mixing a few hours with a small pump. I had the same issues, kinda, but with the Alk dropping.

You are mixing that salt WAY too long. Seachem suggest only mixing a few hours with a small pump. I had the same issues, kinda, but with the Alk dropping.

I will make a second batch and see what I get .

I also sent seachem an email to see what they say.

I will make a second batch and see what I get .

I also sent seachem an email to see what they say.
I can tell you, it will go something like this:

Hello Wade,

Thank you for contacting us and for being a fan! Alkalinity for salinity should be 3.2 to 3.8 meq/L or 8.9 to 10.6 dKH. It would be extremely unusual for a bucket of salinity to have levels that do not match the analysis on the bucket. Unlike every other salt on the market, we actually test each batch of salt after it has been mixed, then we send a sample to an independent EPA registered lab to ensure that we have not made an error in testing ourselves. It is the results we receive from the independent lab that are printed on the label. This analysis is also available at our website aquavitro . salinity. There is a search bar in the lower right portion of the page where you can enter your lot number and it will pull up the analysis.

How do you mix your salt? When mixing salinity we recommend mixing it at room temperature and for no more than 24 hours. The longer you mix the more CO2 the salt mix will take in, causing precipitation of calcium and carbonates (decreasing alkalinity). We await your response.

And then:

Hello Wade,

You may be over-mixing the salt. Our salinity is very different. While other salts take a good bit of mixing, it is preferable to not mix ours too much. Here we only mix it for several hours before using it. We also use a small power head in a 50 gallon drum. Your large pump may be introducing too much CO2 and along with the over-mixing both can cause precipitation of alkalinity. Perhaps next time you mix salt you can shorten the mixing time and use a smaller pump. I hope this information helps. Have a great day!

+1 so wade do you only mix for a couple of hours or longer like a lot of ppl say?

I was mixing for 24 hours. I tested my last batch and was like WTF? That is when I started talking to them about it. I too thought maybe I have a bad batch. There is a sticker on the bucket that has all the reading from the batch you have.

As fate would have it, I am mixing 30 gallons now, and I am turning the pump off after 3 hours to see what my numbers are.

Thanks can't wait for the results. We had a bunch of ppl(9) buy Red Sea coral pro and we were all getting different numbers. Little did we know they recommend mixing/rolling/ or dragging the bucket behind your truck(j/king) before mixing to stir the salt up.

oh, and I mix mine almost continuously till the mixing tank is empty. Takes a week or two. Maybe I shouldn't but I haven't had any low numbers.

My LFS uses salinity in the water that they sell, and it mixes 24/7 . they are going to test tomorrow when I go there and we will compare mine to theirs.

New batch mixed per Seachems instructions mixed up as follows:

Salinity 1.026
Alk/KH 3.77/10.6
Mag 1380
Cal 1450

I

All tests were done with Salifert test kits, and with the water at room (garage temp), which is about as cold as a witches titty in a brass bra right now.

I'm tagging along, because a lfs around my house just started using this salt, and I bought a bucket of their pre made water today. So I'm definitely gonna test it before I do my water change.

Back