Aquavitro Salinity Users

Ok here is my response from Seachem :

Hello Bryan,

Thank you for your question and for using salinity salt. This salt is unlike any other on the market, as we batch it right here in our own facility. We test each individual batch in our lab before placing it into buckets; as long as the parameters fall within our specs, we then send the salt out to an EPA-registered independent laboratory, who tests the parameters using laboratory-grade equipment, rather than hobby grade test kits. Once we receive the results from the lab, we then make the labels for the buckets. Therefore, it should be very unlikely that the magnesium level is actually 1020ppm, though we would certainly be more than happy to try and troubleshoot a little with you.

Firstly, all of the parameters are guaranteed at a salinity of 35ppt or 1.0264. You can actually view the guaranteed analysis from our independent laboratory here for your individual bucket:

http://www.aquavitro.com/retrieve_jpg.php?document_search=53384.00&subby_search=Submit

With each batch, we make the lab results accessible by users on our aquavitro website at this address, so that you can see the guaranteed analysis from lab-grade equipment:

aquavitro . salinity

Now, the only thing that stands out to me is your mixing procedure. I understand that this salt mixes cloudy due to its concentration, therefore many users want to mix it for an extended time period in order to allow it to clear. However, because salinity is so different from every other salt available, when mixing this salt, we have found that 24 hours or less is ideal. The longer you let the salt mix, the more C02 it will take on and the more precipitation you will encounter. C02 --> water --> carbonic acid --> bicarbonates/carbonates. Mixing the salt for more than 24 hours can cause a decrease in alkalinity, magnesium and pH, resulting in a precipitation of calcium and carbonates, thus making the cloudiness persist for longer. When we mix it here at Seachem, we mix it in 50 gallon drums with one powerhead at room temperature (22-25 degrees Centigrade). Though it is typically still cloudy at this point, once placed into the tanks, it clears readily.

So, the magnesium level should most certainly not be that low, and this would be unacceptable to us. Could you possibly try mixing up your next batch as recommended above, test the parameters and let us know what the parameters look like? This would really help us to take the next appropriate steps. Thanks so much, and we look forward to your reply!

Product Support

So , I did as they asked and made a new batch

Mixing Started @ 11:00 a.m. central

Levels tested @ 2:30 p.m.

MAG = 1200ppm

tested by LFS @ 2:45 p.m.

MAG = 1200ppm

I have sent them a follow up email and I am currently awaiting their response.

So far the Magnesium is all I have tested. I will be doing a full line of tests on this bucket , as well as two other buckets over the weekend.

I will post the results as I get them.

This just in :

Thank you so much for that information, Bryan. We keep a retain of every batch of salinity that we make; I am going to check with our lab, have them pull the retain and test the parameters. I will not tell them what you are seeing; rather, I will just ask them to test the salt and report the results to me. I will let you know what I hear from them. We want to ensure that you are getting what we claim, so we will let you know the results. Thanks so much, and we will be in touch.

Product Support

Interesting thread and glad I jumped on board. I also use Seachem salt but haven't at all paid attention to mixing instructions or tested levels right out of the bucket, but I'm definitely going to start testing each bucket. Also glad to hear they are having their lab test their batch again.

I am glad to see the quick response from them. I love their products , and was hoping that this is just an isolated situation. I will say that we (LFS & I ) have tested 3 other buckets and the Mag level was around 1350ppm in each of them.

Guys and Gals...

I did not know that... (mixing for not too long)

So?? .. do you let your RODI fill (slow process) then let it wait with a pump and heater running to get the temp to match your tank and add the salt in late??... a few hours before the water change??

Next follow up question:
My change water tank is larger than my change water amount... what do you do with that excess, just refill with RODI and hold before adding the next salt batch??

Last edited:
Here is the latest , and probably the end of the conversation with Seachem.
********************************************************************************************
Hi Bryan, Nov 6

I have pulled the batch sheet from the particular batch you are having difficulty with and below are the numbers from our testing:

pH = 8.43
Alkalinity = 3.5 meq/l
Calcium = 440 ppm
Magnesium = 1350 ppm

With this being said, we would be more than happy to test a sample of your salt if you would be willing to send it in to us. We would require 2-3 cups of the salt, sealed in a zip-lock bag and sent to the following address:

Seachem Laboratories
Attention: Tech Support
1000 Seachem Drive
Madison GA 30650

Let us know how you would like to proceed and we will do all we can to help. Thanks!

Product Support

************************************************************************************************
Nov 7

Made two batches of water and tested both with salifert as well as Elos test kits . The results are :

Lot # 53384.00 (batch in question)

Salifert = 1200
Elos = 1200

Label shows 1374

Second batch

Lot # 58451.00

Salifert = 1360
Elos = 1400

Label shows 1362

There isn't a lot of salt left in the bucket in question so I will just dose as needed until it is gone . Again , I would like to thank you for all of your help . It's good to see a company that will stand behind their product and offer to help out when issues arise.

*******************************************************************************************

You are very welcome and please, don't hesitate to contact us if ever you have questions or concerns.

Product Support

Due to the small amount left in the bucket , approx 4" , Im not sure how accurate the testing from the lab would have been. If this would have been mid bucket then I would have sent a sample to them to verify. With 3 different test kits showing similar results Im pretty sure it is accurate.

My plan is to take random samples of the new bucket and see how things go. If anything weird shows up I will be sure to update this thread and get Seachem involved once again.

Back