Aqueon Filter

Ryan

Reefing newb
I got one that's fitted for my tank. Looks like a bak pak style. Just curious what you guys think of it or should I go with something else?

I'm going to a meeting tonight and I'll be back to check in later tonight. Thanks guys.

R

Basically like any other HOB filter.
Keep the cartridges rinsed,and change them out when nitrates start climbing.

Ryan,

You probably won't need a filter (if you have good liverock & live sand).
Yote is right, the filters will just manifest nitrates.
They work great for freshwater tanks, however, they aren't really great for SALTWATER.

You will need a skimmer though.

If you can afford it, I would recommend the Octopus BH-100F for your size tank. I use it and it's GREAT.....
This thing pulls crud out of the water like nobody's business.

Here's a link to a good writeup about it.

The only issue you may have is finding one. They sell out pretty quickly.
I picked mine up from SaltyCritter.

They had it in stock, great price of $149.00, and fast shipping.

Last edited:
Huge sigh of frustration.....

So will the Biocube skimmer work for me now and maybe upgrade to an octopus down the road? I'm not getting any kind of foam out of it. The filter, it says saltwater or freshwater. I'm confused.

I have close to 20 lbs of liverock in there right now.

Someone, please help and tell me I'm not screwing my tank up!

You're not screwing your tank up. It's just that skimmers are better for saltwater than other types of filters. Other filters will work okay, but if you aren't diligent about keeping them clean, they can cause nitrate problems. Go with what you have and see if it works for you. If not, you can try something else.

Hey,I started with a 30gal long tank,with 2 emperor 400s hanging on it.So you can use those kind of filters.You just have stay on top of the maintance with them.Which really aint that bad.They tend to cause a heck of a lot of salt creep too.Which like to drove me insane.

Back