Aragonite?

Coletrickle

Reefing newb
Hello everyone, it's my first post here. I have had a few freshwater tanks in the past and have desided to dive into the marine world. I have a 55 gal tank wich I have drilled myself and built an overflow box. There is a a 20 gal sump. The drain is 1.5" and return is 3/4". I have puchased a Mag drive 5 (500gph) and an ASM mini G. I had origanly planed to use live sand and 75 lbs of live rock. I ended up buying caribsea seaflor special grade reef sand, wich is not live. I was looking at several options and decided to go with live sand and didn't relize what I purchased was not live. I plan to start with FOWLR and latter move to some corals after I get the hang of things.

Will I need to buy more live rock to compensate for non live sand?
Should I place some live sand ontop of the Aragonite to help with the cycle?
Does the caribsea seaflor special grade reef sand make a nice floor?

Thanks everone

I'm sure some of the other guys will chime in too.

1. You could get a cup of sand from a buddy and add it to your tank and that will seed your sand bed.

2. If your buying live rock it will eventually seed your sand bed.

I'm not to familiar with the different sands but I'd think you'll be ok with the caribsea seaflor sand. Also seems like your off to a great start with your tank. Welcome to Livingreefs :D

You still will want to have about 1-2lbs per gallon of live rock. You could either add a bag of live sand or get a cup of sand like Hornet posted.

Ive seen you lurking quite a bit, why so shy? Welcome to the Reef friend!

aragonite is the probably the most popular sand to use. If you just get a cup of live sand form LFS or a friend. It will quickly spread to the entire bed. make sure you are patient with your setup. do not rapidly stock your tank and take it slow this will help your sand and rock establish and flourish. liverock will help and is something you need for sure, but just add a cup of live sand and youll be good to go.

BTW...welcome to the forum and the hobby!

I have been "lurking" for a while. Just getting some information and opinions.
Thank you for the welcome.

I have been, and will continue to be, patient setting up. I have been trying to get things started for over 2 months now. I have built a custom stand and hood. Did a water test on the tank, it leaked! I resaled the tank, let it sit for 4 days filled, it didn't leak. Drilled the back panel, witch turned out to be tempered, shatered every were and still finding little pieces. I purchaced a new glass panel. The side glass still had moldings attached that I glued on with silicone. In removing the molding I broke the side panel. I was back to the glass shop (they know me by name now) and got another piece of glass. It's all back together now and holds water. Now it's sitting void of water, and anything else, untill I get my order in. So yeah I can be patient, and determined.

You will see more of me now that I'm getting closer.

Thanks again

Wow. Your more of a trooper than I wouldve been! I wouldve smashed that tank into a million tiny pieces...on purpose! Since its empty you might consider drilling another 3/4" return. Good job on being patient.

Why another 3/4" return? Is 500gph not enough for a 55gal? I have made a spray bar that extends the length of the tank. I think there should be a very even amount of circulation. The spray pattern of the bar is comparable to that of a fan type water sprinkler.

Thank you, I was getting worried I would need to risk drilling another hole. Thinking about it scares me after breaking the first glass, and all I have been through.

Will I need to buy more live rock to compensate for non live sand?
No need to add more just to seed the sand.The live rock alone will seed the sand
Should I place some live sand on top of the Aragonite to help with the cycle?
I doubt if a little live sand is going to make the cycle faster since you already using plenty of live rock.Besides,it will settle to the bottom since live sand is a finer grade than the seafloor grade.
Does the caribsea seaflor special grade reef sand make a nice floor?
It all depends,it's aragonite so that's good.Grain size is a personal choice,I prefer a sugar size bed myself.Sand sifting gobies will probably damage their gills trying to sift that larger and more jagged substrate.

Welcome!

Back