Arc Eye Hawkfish...such a jerk

DJ_Z

Reefing newb
Hello, everybody,

I have posted before about my 40g reef tank, the development of which has stalled somewhat. I have an arc eye hawkfish that's very young, only about 2.5 inches in length, and I'm pretty sure he's responsible for the empty shells in my tank. My CUC used to consist of astreas, ceriths, bumblebees, and hermit crabs. I had five of each, and with the exception of the larger astreas, everything else is down to just one or two. So I plan to get more astreas to help things. What other inverts can live with an arc eye hawkfish that'll get hungry? Or I am better off trying to rehome? I really want to build up this reef tank, but it'll be tough if my inverts are always at risk of consumption.

I found this about your fish.

PETCO
Temperament: Semi-Aggressive
Reef Safe: With Caution
Family: Cirrhitidae
Native To: Indo Pacific
Diet: Carnivore
Adult Size: Up to 6"
Temperature: 72-78° F
Water Parameters: dKH 8-12, sg 1.020-1.025, pH 8.1-8.4
Care Level: Easy
Tank Size: 30+ gallons
Scientific Name: Paracirrhites arcatus
Environment: Marine
One of the larger Hawkfish available
Eats shrimp and crabs, but can eat smaller fish as well
Does best with plenty of crevices and caves to hide in, and ledges to perch on or around.

Good luck with it.

I think you are out of luck as far as shrimps and crabs. That is their natural diet so its not much of a surprise really.

I haven't heard of them taking out snails though. Your snail may be the handiwork of the hermits.

A larger conch may be OK.

Always research the inhabitants you put in your tank. Sounds like you were unaware that they eat those things. If you want the inverts, you may have to rehome the little guy.

Can't really call the fish a jerk for doing what is natural for it to do... Liveaquaria.com has some of the best information on fish out there. Use it to research fish before making a purchase.

Yes, it was a spur of the moment purchase. The sad part is that I really like him, but I just can't develop the tank as I want with him. I'm going to try to sell/trade him for store credit, but otherwise I may just take the hit and donate it to an LFS. One LFS already told me they only take donations.

They aren't very expensive anyway, usually like 15-20$ (at least around me). Not a huge hit, but yeah, make sure you research before you purchase! :)

That is probably the strongest advice I give anybody about the hobby and the creatures we care for. Please, for the critter's sake, do a bit of homework, even if you take a moment to open your smartphone and give a quick look to LiveAquaria or something and check them out. I've popped out the phone in a LFS....

That is probably the strongest advice I give anybody about the hobby and the creatures we care for. Please, for the critter's sake, do a bit of homework, even if you take a moment to open your smartphone and give a quick look to LiveAquaria or something and check them out. I've popped out the phone in a LFS....

Me too. In my case, my LFS knows I'm a researcher and giggle at me when I whip out my phone to look something up.

Well in the words of the great Spiderman

"Everybody gets one."

I am going to donate the arc eye, both for karma and a little gift for giving me a really good deal on a couple of coral frags (ten dollars for a torch? aw yeah)

Back