Are bouncers allowed to beat you?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by PRC, Nov 21, 2010.

1. PRC

PRC Stop Quoting Me!

Just got a call from my lead tech. One of my other techs went out to the bar last night. and got into it with the bouncer. From what my lead told me, the bouncer 'destroyed" his face. Broke his jaw, etc, etc, he said he could barely look at him when he went to visit him.

Are bouncers allowed to physically assault you? I wouldn't think so. On top of that, this guy weighs all of about 145 lbs. Not that I'm sticking up for him, because I'm not. I live by the rule..."an ass whooping is just an education"..

But I would think that their primary goal is to remove you from the bar. Call the Police if necessary and that's it.

PRC, Nov 21, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. PRC

lilduud

ive heard of that type of stuff from bouncers all the time... if you hit them they definitely hit back and they clearly dont have the same legal obligations as a cop for example to theyre pretty much left to "carry out business by their own means"

obviously some of them take it way too far and should be fire/prosecuted but it would all be circumstantial in my opinion.

lilduud, Nov 21, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. PRC

cthegame

Sounds a bit extreme. The guy should talk to a lawyer...Also, he should take pictures of his face right away before it heals.

cthegame, Nov 21, 2010
  4. PRC

ErinCahir Sausage Wrangler

Get a copy of the hospital paperwork, too.

ErinCahir, Nov 21, 2010
  5. PRC

OhNoNemo i love triggers

I was a bouncer back in my 20's for a couple years,the police are very much on the side of bouncers and usually defend almost all their actions...I would mostly bear hug and head lock guys and walk them out....IF they gave any resistants it could get ugly...we have dealt with the police a lot and no bouncer ever got in any trouble ....sorry to hear about your tech ,but i don't think he has any kind of case...

OhNoNemo, Nov 21, 2010
  6. PRC

Piratefish SPS Freak

So this is the problem here. Some guy mouths off gets the :pooh:kicked out of him and cries all the way home to his lawyer.

Really people? Im not saying that this guy should have been hurt by the bouncer AND maybe the bouncer was way out of line, but hey PRC said his lead tech "got into it with the bouncer".

I am really sorry this happened to your tech. I am a nonviolent person and don't like to see anyone hurt. But call a lawyer...Take responsibility for your actions and except the consequences.

Piratefish, Nov 21, 2010
  7. PRC

Smitty

Legally...NO! They have no right to do so, but they think they do have the same powers as police, but then again, police don't have the right to beat you neither. Tell your buddy to get an attorney and take pics of his injuries.

Smitty, Nov 21, 2010
  8. PRC

OhNoNemo i love triggers

Smitty ,your a police officer right?Haven't you been called to these kinds of things a lot ,and nothing ever happens...the guy leaves and the cops and bouncers just kind of chit chat ...

OhNoNemo, Nov 21, 2010
  9. PRC

Bifferwine I am a girl

Christian was the head bouncer at a popular bar for years (that's where he was working when I met him). They are not allowed to use anymore than the force necessary to remove a person from the bar. I.E., they can do what it takes to get someone out of the bar, but nothing more. They cannot use pepper spray or a club, for example -- no weapons allowed except their hands.

I have seen Christian "get into it" with several guys at his bar (we shared one car, so I'd have to drop him off and pick him up after his shifts, and sometimes I'd just stay the whole time at the bar doing homework and grading while he worked :lol:). What usually is the case is the bouncer is sober, and some belligerent drunk refuses to leave, and when the bouncer throws him out, he comes back at the bouncer over and over again, and that leads to him getting hit.

Was your friend drunk? If so, how does he know what happened? Were there witnesses that were sober? If he tried to hit the bouncer, then NO SHIT THE BOUNCER IS GOING TO HIT HIM BACK. And since the bouncer isn't drunk, his punch will probably connect a bit better than your buddy's did. ;)

Of course guys can take it to the extreme. Perhaps this is one of those cases. But from my experience, when someone at a bar gets a beat down, it's usually because they were being a drunk asshole.

Bifferwine, Nov 21, 2010
  10. PRC

fastrd400 It wasn't me! Moderator

I've served many a bar, and bouncers for this same stuff. The bouncers have the authority to use force to "exit" a person from the establishment. They also have the authority to retaliate if a drunken patron takes a swing at them. Now, fighting with a bouncer is like fighting with a gang, you have to fight them all because that's the way they back each other.

Does he have a case, maybe. It seems a bit extreme for someone who weighs only 145lbs. There are many attorneys out there that would love to jump on the case.

fastrd400, Nov 21, 2010
  11. PRC

PRC Stop Quoting Me!

It's not my lead tech..who got in the fight. It's another tech. I only got the call because my lead tech called to say "he's not gonna be working for awhile". Yeah there are witnesses. The techs never thought of calling an attorney, I did.

Here's why.

This technician is quiet as a church mouse. I was shocked when I got the phone call and heard what happened. To put it into perspective. It would be like somebody posting a thread that said "Picasso just killed all of the seahorses in the world"..It just wouldn't compute.

However, when I expressed disbelief...My tech said..."He thinks he's 6' and bulletproof when he's drinking"....

My concern is this..

1. He has a family to support, and obviously can't work.
    2. Do I replace him...? As his employer do I want to put myself in a situation where I could find myself in court because of something a dumbass technician did while he was drunk.
    3. If I don't replace him, what do I do with the tech that takes his spot temporarily....What a pain in the ass.
    4. This is my busiest time of year.

Either way, what a dumbass...for our younger reefers. Don't put yourself in situations like this...It's just friggin' stupid. There are times that you have to fight, no doubt. With a bouncer at a bar is not one of them.

I've got a funny story about doing stupid stuff when you're drunk. I'll tell it if ya' ask nicely.:D

PRC, Nov 21, 2010
  12. PRC

Bifferwine I am a girl

His actions led to a condition where he can't perform his job. That's not your fault. You still have the obligation to protect your business. If he's going to be out for a few days, I'm sure you can swing it without him. But if it's going to be weeks, you are well within your rights to hire a replacement.

Bifferwine, Nov 21, 2010
  13. PRC

dcantucson

I just read this thread so I'm a bit late. I agree that he really doesn't have a case at all. A Club/Bar is a private business and if you are asked or told to leave by the owner or representative (bouncer) and you do not then reasonable force can be used to remove you. Most people believe they have a "right" to be there as it is a public place. They do not once asked to leave.

You also have no obligation to continue to employ him as he doesn't have an illness, except mental dumbness! :lol:

dcantucson, Nov 21, 2010
  14. PRC

cageburn

ya unfortunatly Ive seen it happen on more than one occasion, usually when a bouncer jumps on someone though everyone jumps on the bouncer and its a bar brawl lol. Ur buddy shoul have had some backup lol :) I hope he heals up quick thats unfortunate that happen

cageburn, Nov 21, 2010
  15. PRC

PRC Stop Quoting Me!

I agree...but the bouncer broke his jaw, and I guess really messed him up good. (that's beyond reasonable force) The tech who called me said, "I can barely look at him"......The guy relaying the story did 3 tours in Iraq, if he can't look at you...you're F'd up....

I can't wait to get the pics.:D

PRC, Nov 21, 2010
  16. PRC

Bifferwine I am a girl

It does sound like excessive force was used.

Bifferwine, Nov 21, 2010
  17. PRC

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

The right punch at the right angle and with the right force can brake a jaw a lot easier than what you'd think.But that still dont excuse a complete beat down.But either way,I'd get BOTH side of the story before I made any decisions one way or the other.

yote, Nov 21, 2010
  18. PRC

Rcpilot

Moral of the story:

If you're 10 feet tall and you like to run your mouth when you're drunk....... you should probably limit your drinking to a locked closet .................. by yourself.

Stupid f**ker went out and got his ass whooped by mouthing off or attacking one of the WORSE possible people you could ever do that too. A bouncer at a bar. What a dumb ass......

Only thing dumber than mouthing off to a bouncer is mouthing off to a cop.

Fire his ass and replace him with a permanent worker who has been laid off for at least 6 months. You can probably take a tax deduction on the new worker if he qualifies after being laid off for so long. Check with your tax adviser for the rules on that.

Have your lawyer help you write a termination notice to the dumb ass in the hospital. As has been stated, he is unable to perform the essential functions of his job. Was he issued a ticket by the police? Disorderly conduct? Blatant stupidity? If so, you can maybe use those criminal charges as a basis to get rid of him.

Ignorance and irresponsibility is inexcusable in this economy. It's obvious where the guys priorities are. FYI - his priorities are NOT on his job and his family. If he cared about putting food on the table, he'd be at home on a Friday night with his family - instead of out blowing his paycheck at the bar. Perhaps you were paying him too much? Bars ain't cheap and he obviously had enough extra cash to pay $5 a bottle for beers at the bar.

It's not your fault he's an irresponsible f**ktard, but I admire you for at least having the heart to consider weather or not to fire him. Many employers would not have given it a 2nd thought. Instant termination.

Rcpilot, Nov 21, 2010
  19. PRC

sen5241b

I think the tech has a case but it will really depend on what witnesses say. If there are no witnesses its his word against the bouncer's.

Looking at the pics of your friends face alone a good case could be made that excessive force was used.

He should definitely get photos and medical records and start calling attorneys. A lawyer will tell him whether he really has a case.

sen5241b, Nov 22, 2010
  20. PRC

PRC Stop Quoting Me!

UPDATE:

So I got him to send a picture over. Here's an excerpt from the email... Ouch....I don't know what that would feel like, but I bet it's not pretty.

Here's an excerpt from his email.

it looks better than what it is i go sat to have them put in 3 to 4 plates in my chin and jaw and pull my cheek bone out of my jaw bone.

Attached Files:

PRC, Nov 22, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question