Are there any corals I can keep with a stock light?

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
Hey All

I'm wondering if there are any corals that I could put in my 10g now before I upgrade my light fixture? Current fixture is a very crappy single tube flourescent light than comes with your standard 10g hood. I'd love to put in a few softies just to get some color in my 10g now since it looks like it will be awhile before I can upgrade my light, but don't know if even mushrooms, gsp, or xenia would survive....

Thanks!

Mushrooms may survive for a lil while...but you'll eventually need to replace the lighting. You could also get a sun coral, since they don't need light.

Mushrooms, zoas, palys, star polyps, leathers, trees. But I would recommend getting a better bulb in a 50/50 for like $10-15. Thatll work better.

Thanks, guys! I plan to upgrade the light by mid-july latest to a Par38 bulb, so no sense buying a new 50/50 bulb for it. But I saw a decent price on 2 large hairy mushrooms at one of my LFS's last week and wondered if they would survive under my lights. Didn't buy them but it was tempting!

Thanks, guys! I plan to upgrade the light by mid-july latest to a Par38 bulb, so no sense buying a new 50/50 bulb for it. But I saw a decent price on 2 large hairy mushrooms at one of my LFS's last week and wondered if they would survive under my lights. Didn't buy them but it was tempting!

Mid july is just a month away. I would just wait. Maybe talk with the LFS and see if they will put them on hold. You would feel better knowing that the light is adequate.

yah stock lights will not keep anything alive , those mushrooms will shrink up on transport home , and not do any better without some good light.

Back