Are these ok as 1st corals?

Samhain

Satin, Lace, and Sequins
I'm considering adding a white pom pom xenia and a giant green duncan in a couple weeks. My tank will be two months old, CUC in place, and the corals would be added at the same time as the 1st fishies (royal gramma and a 6 line wrasse). All levels are within decent ranges. Lighting is Marineland Reef LED.

SG. 1.024
Ammo: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
pH: 8.0

Are these ok to add as first corals? Should I wait longer before considering adding corals? Should I start simpler (mushrooms, leathers, and zoas)?

Last edited:
Xenias are beautiful, but sometimes they reproduce very fast so be careful there. Duncans, I heard, are one of the easiest beginner corals. Good choice IMO!! :D

Duncan is an awesome choice, that was one of my first corals and it is super easy, beautiful, and fun to watch eat mysis (and creepy at the same time!) Post pics when you get them :) We'd love to see

I'll definitely hold off on the Xenia. It's really pretty, but it sounds like it can be a pain down the road. There are plenty of other pretty corals in the sea! The duncan, however sounds like a winner. Maybe i'll try a leather coral instead.....or a paly or ricordea.

I agree with everyone, those are nice and easy corals, but the xenia will over take your whole tank. A leather would be a good choice also.

+1 everyone. I absolutely love zoas and ricordia. There are so many colors to choose from and they look magnificent under the blue moonlights. I also have that lighting fixture and my zoas and ric are doing great.

Back