Aren't zoanthids supposed to be easy?

beeguiles

they call me fish geek ;p
Hey guys,

Anytime I put zoanthids in my 93g they stay open for a while and then start to close and not open again. I've looked for flatworms and dipped many times to no avail. So I just came to terms that for whatever reason I can't keep zoas in my 93g. So I took them all out and put them in my 10g. Well I was inspecting one colony of zoas and noticed this white spongey stuff growing all around the base of the colony and creeping it's way up. Could this be what's keeping my zoas from opening? All parameters are good and have been stable. I have the kessil a350w do it's not a lighting issue either. I'm stumped

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Ph 8.0
Temp 79

49728A02-E63B-4398-A30E-6D860EDF5F6D-3494-000005DB85196CC0.jpg

I have one colony that also gets this weird white spongey growth on it - it grows all up and through the polyps, but hasn't led to closing and melting. I periodically take it out and tweeze the sponge off. Have you tried various spots in your 93 (various flow, various light, etc)? I personally think zoas are finicky and not as easy as people make them sound. I've resorted to mostly buying larger colonies and have had success with those, but not with colonies that have under 10 polyps on them.

i had the same problem with my zoas at first and i found out i put it in an area were the flow was too strong. i think if you move them to a low flow area in your tank i would put them there.

Wow that's strange.. I have no advice, but I would say it's got to be at least part of the reason they aren't opening...

Have you ever treated your zoas with furan 2 (like you would for zoo pox)? The sponge I had on mine (which looks just like yours) hasn't grown back since I last treated with furan 2 (about a month or so ago).

One of my corals has that white stuff too! I have no idea what it is. It just suddenly showed up yesterday. It's growing right in the middle of the coral and that part won't open up! Anyone know what it is?

Last edited:
Oh wow thanks for all the responses! All my other zoa colonies that I have taken out havent had this stuff growing on it so I think it's just affecting this one colony in particular. The others just closed and never opened up. For now I just put this colony in my ten gallon to see if it would open up on its own or if I need to scrub that crap off. No I haven't tried furan 2. I just have lugols dip and medicoral. I haven't tried movin them around bc I wanted them in a certain place. Maybe I will try putting them in a different spot. Oh and they just close they don't melt. They aren't dying they just aren't opening up.

be careful and keep an eye out on them(sure you are) i've had 3 colony fire and ice blue tubbs and some bam bams do that. closed and after 3 or 4 weeks finally melted.

BTW Britt - I have had some Zoa colonies that multiply the most beautiful Zoas in a couple weeks, and others that have stayed closed for months at a time and opened up for a week then closed again. I have one that I am not even sure of the color because they open so rarely. They can be pains in the ass and finniky at that.

Appears you may have a fungus growing on your polyps.
Our aquarist suggests using a chemical soak to treat the infection, such as coral revive, for about five minutes, or a product similar to it.
If that doesn't help, hydrogen peroxide is another option as mentioned by lilmatty5dimes.
Hope this helps.
-Farside Tropicals

Brittney, pull the colony out of the tank. Take your time and pick all the white fungus off, it should break away and or peel right off. Dip them in Lugols, Seachem Reef Dip, etc after you have cleaned them up. Let em sit in the solution for a good 5-8 minutes. Shake off in RO/DI and put em back. You may have to do this again in a couple weeks. I've have the same thing on my Blonde Blue Eyed Bitches. After 2 scrap and dips, they are clean as a whistle.

Back