Arggggggggg

dolphins8426

Reefing newb
stupid *ucking damsels. Never again will I own one of these. I just had to remove all my live rock to get them out. Man o man what a mission that was. Well at least the are out of they way. You think I might have started a nother mini cycle since I stured up the tank pretty good? Or should I be ok?

Last edited:
Yep. It's a bad idea to use them for cycling. You might start a minicycle, but you might not. There's no way to predict that. Test your water and see.

How soon should I check it. Like today? The water cleared up in about 5 min looks perfectly normal to me. Would I see a change in my water immediatly or would it take a day or two?

Would it be safe to add a couple clown fish today even if I did start a mini cycle? Thats the reason I took those damn things out so I can finally get my tank going the way I want it too.

It may or may not start a mini-cycle - I'd test after a few hours, then again tomorrow. Either way, it won't be a big deal. I started one when I rearranged my live rock and coral a couple of months ago with no obvious consequences.

(but I did do a water change the next day, just to be sure.)

I think it'd be fine to add some clowns right now. They are hardy, and moving rocks doesn't usually start a big enough cycle to do any damage.

removing one damsil for another one huh? they pretty much will live through anything so you would probably be just fine

Ironically enough, I added two clowns the same day that I removed three damsels (and everything else...) from my tank last year. They did fine.

Well I don't want to change any of water yet since its a fairly new tank. I was planning on taking the ol lady and my nephew to get nemo today so he calls it. You think clown fish would survive. I pretty sure they would they are very hardy fish. Lemi know what yall think?

I'd go ahead and do a water change, and put the clowns in (but that's just me). Even at just a few weeks, you might benefit from some new water. It doesn't have to be very much.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that the clowns will be just fine. They're tough...I remember reading a story about one that survived a move in cold weather while being stuck in an overflow with only a couple of inches of water. Crazy.

Thanks for the input everyone. You guys and gals are truly on top of these questions with rapid response. I really apperichate everyone taking time and giving me great info....

I am gonna wait a few more weeks before my water change. Tanks only been up and running a lil less than a month now. I am gonna take a sample of the water to the saltwater store just to be safe. My cat knocked over my test kit the other day and my glass tubes shattered. Animals I tell ya

If your ammonia and nitrites are at zero, then do a water change.

There's no guarantee that the clowns will host the torch... There's no guarantee that they will host anything.

Torches are hardy and easy to keep. I'd say wait about 2 weeks after adding your clowns before putting in any corals.

Should I suck up all the crap that fell off the live rock thats laying all over the bottom of the sand? Would it hurt the clowns if I added them today and maybe thursday of this week do a little water change. Or should I do it beofre i add them

Back