Aries85's RSM 35

Thanks Biff. I will try to get some new pics up tonight if I can. Going to head on over to take advantage of that sale they are still having.

Looks good. If the bubbles dont stop soon I would contact RedSea and ask what the normal breakin time is... I have heard up to 3 weeks to break that thing in.

Yeah I have been told its about 2weeks or so. We will see Monday when I call. At lest the people there are nice and speak English so its not that bad.

sorry ive been so late to this thread..nice aquascaping...corals looks great..nothing new to add..( maybe cause im always late to everyones threads)..good luck

I got a question for everybody. I have a my zoa in its been in my tank for about 3 or 4 days now and for some reason it will not open up fully. Most of it will open up, but some parts of it will just not do it. I have been feeding all the corals in there DTs and I have been giving the clam some oyster eggs.

Is there anything else I can feed it or do it to make it open up some more? Anyone have any ideas?

Also, I have another question about feeding. Now I feed the Goby, and the shrimp every day. I give them about 1/2 a square of Formula one that is thawed in a cup of tank water. Should I be supliment hsi feeding with anything else? I mean eats very well and is very agressive when he eats. This is what the LFS recomened I feed him, and seems to be doing fine. Any input would help..

It can take awhile for new corals to open up. It's not unusual for zoas to not open up right away. When I got some new zoa frags a while back, some of them took a month to open up. As long as most of it looks okay, it will be fine. The goby and shrimp should be fine with what you're feeding them. Make sure you're not overfeeding, 1/2 a cube every day is a lot for one fish. In comparison, I was feeding my 20 fish 2 cubes once a day.

Ok maybe if thats too much then. I mean it all gets eaten, and by the end there is nothing left at all. I will cut it back to 1/4 cubes then. Thanks Biff.

Last edited:
I agree with biff. I feed about a quarter cube daily to my 3 fish, and occasionaly I'll stick a piece of shrimp for the engineer goby and nassarius snails to fight over. The zoos will open in time, what are you water params like?

I don't think you need to feed the clam oyster eggs.From what I understand thats not what they feed on.Small clams benefit from phytoplankton and light.The larger ones don't need supplemental feeding and do fine filtering the water and receiving strong lighting.

I've never seen a feeding response from zoas.Maybe your zoas need more time.I would go ahead an look closely for parasitic nudibranches,sun dial snails and spiders.They are real tiny so check closely.

One more thing,I prefer to feed my fish a variety of foods instead of the same thing every time.

Well the zoas did open up, but not like they were before. I was told to give them an iodine dip and that should help them. I plan on doing that today. Also, over the weekend we picked up 3 more pieces of coral. We got Orange Sun Polyps, Flavia, and Blastomussa Wellsi and a we got a small little Richoderia.We also picked up to fish the same day and put them in there. We got a True Perc, who is now named Sharkbait, and a Longnose Hawkfish, who we have not named yet. Here are some pics and a full tank shot.

Blastumussa Wellsi
103_1000.jpg

Flavia:
103_0961.jpg

Orange Sun Polyp:
103_0976.jpg

Sharkbait (True Perc)
103_1011.jpg

Longnose Hawk:
103_1006.jpg

Full Tank Shot:
103_0999.jpg

Nice blastos, they are one of my favorites.

That's not a flavia (I don't think that's even a type of coral), that's a fungia (plate coral). The plate coral will need to be hand fed a couple times a week. I've never had any luck keeping them for some reason, I've had three and they've all died on me within a few weeks. They can be pretty tough to keep alive.

Are you aware that the hawkfish is not reefsafe? It will eat snails, crabs and shrimp.

And are you also aware that the sun polyps are not photosynthetic, so they need to be placed in the shade and that they need to be hand fed daily (each polyp) because they can't get their food from anywhere else? They are probably the most demanding coral out there, not a good choice :(. Freak had sun polyps before, he can probably help you out with them some more if you want.

Yeah Biff I know about the sun polyps. I have been feeding them every day, and we were aware of it when we bought them. They actually seem to be doing pretty good and they are looking better then when we got them. Thanks for correcting me there Biff about the plate coral. I was going to type it as a plate, but forgot what the name was for the moment, as you are right thats what it is and it also looks pretty good and is doing better. Yes, we know about the hawkfish and eating the snails, shrimp, and crabs.

Biff by no means are you sounding like a nag. You are just making sure people know what they are getting into. We appreciate it very much, and thanks for letting us know.

Congrats on the new additions.Hawkfish are ambush predators.Mine made a lunch out of my Maroon clownfish.All,I can say is keep it well fed.

You got it looking good Aries.
Even though the Hawks not reef safe,That long nose is still one of my favorites.

Back