Arrested by the Tang Police!

I'm proud to be an officer of the Tang Police...

BTW D2...did you know that Coral Mag has an app for Ipad. Just found it yesterday.

Sounds like a butthurt noob that got schooled on keeping a vlamingi in a 120...craptastic article.

On the reef central note, although some people here don't like the place, if it weren't for that large forum this hobby wouldn't be were it is. The information on that site is so so helpful.

On the reef central note, although some people here don't like the place, if it weren't for that large forum this hobby wouldn't be were it is. The information on that site is so so helpful.
True, but running over razor blades to retrieve it? :frustrat:

Helpful only due to the people that post there. It's still run by a bunch of assholes.

I lurked both here and RC before I made the choice to come here. They're a bunch of jerks.
I think people on this site are much nicer about being the Tang Police. Not everyone does the research required to keep fish... and I have never once been asked while buying a large fish what size tank I have.

You know, I was just reading the article for the second or third time, he never does come out and say how to "scientifically" find out how much room a fish needs in a tank at all. IMO, his method is just as subjective as any other method. 4" angel in a 40x12 tank give a 1:13 ratio which is plenty adequate to paraphase him is no less subjective than saying a guideline is 1" of fish per ten gallons.

Also, saying that a tang has potentially the whole ocean to swim in also isnt a good comparison. I am sure that the bio mass of the reef is a lot denser than the average for the entire ocean. Its like the city versus the country. Overall, the population averaged out would look closer to what the country looks like, but you have anomolies such as large urban areas where the population is dense.

IMO, his arguments have flaws and are just as subjective as saying a tank needs atleast a120 gallon tank.

I will just keep looking at the min tank size on the two Docs to decide if a fish will fit in my tank.

You know, I was just reading the article for the second or third time, he never does come out and say how to "scientifically" find out how much room a fish needs in a tank at all. IMO, his method is just as subjective as any other method. 4" angel in a 40x12 tank give a 1:13 ratio which is plenty adequate to paraphase him is no less subjective than saying a guideline is 1" of fish per ten gallons.

Also, saying that a tang has potentially the whole ocean to swim in also isnt a good comparison. I am sure that the bio mass of the reef is a lot denser than the average for the entire ocean. Its like the city versus the country. Overall, the population averaged out would look closer to what the country looks like, but you have anomolies such as large urban areas where the population is dense.

IMO, his arguments have flaws and are just as subjective as saying a tank needs atleast a120 gallon tank.

I will just keep looking at the min tank size on the two Docs to decide if a fish will fit in my tank.

The article isn't meant to tell you how to know exactly what size tank you need for a specific fish. I mean that's kind of what he's saying... even scientists can't really make that call. He's just trying to make a point about how ridiculous the tang police are. One point he's making is that people go apeshit over tangs, yet don't seem to give a hoot about most other fish and their space requirements. Another point is that a lot of the tang police arguments are flawed, even though the basis of their argument is correct. I took it as a pretty light hearted article that raises some questions and offers a few different opinions on the subject.

One point he's making is that people go apeshit over tangs, yet don't seem to give a hoot about most other fish and their space requirements

I don't think that this is entirely accurate (not you, the author). People would go apeshit over a different fish, but in reality if you're a reefer, Tangs are the biggest and most popular fish that you can put in your reef tank safely (as opposed to non-reef safe).

So questions about Tangs are asked more frequently...I've seen alot of threads about people wanting to place an Angel in a reeftank, but the question doesn't get asked as often because I believe most LFS will tell you while you're browsing that large angels aren't reefsafe.

To put it into perspective. I can only name 1 person on this entire site (off the top of my head) that does a FOWLR tank...That's OhNo. If you put a Blueface angel in a 65g tank, I guarantee that you're going to hear from OhNo, and it will probably be harsh. Everybody else is a reefer,(I'm sure there are more FOWLR, but I can't think of them off the top of my head) so naturally there will be more questions about Tangs.

So it's only natural, that if you ask a question about the most popular fish in the hobby you're going to get ALOT more responses, as opposed to Catherine asking a question about Seahorses, I don't know anything about it, and can't answer it, so I don't respond. But just from the few threads I've read about seahorses, it's my understanding that they need a tall tank, and something to hold onto. That being said, Hannah and Catherine would certainly bring it to the persons attention that they just did something "wrong" because they're passionate about their hobby, and I don't see a problem with it.

Since I've been in the hobby, I've read a ton of threads from people with Tangs that have ich, are dying , dead, or suffering. The common thread from the vast majority of those people is a tank that is between 29-65g. But that's just my opinion ( I have no scientfic data on that, just my memory). Now, we could say that someone with a 29-65g tank, could be new to the hobby and is doing something else wrong to the detriment of the fish. And that certainly could be the case. But I don't know for sure.

Here's what I know for a fact. I've got 3 Tangs in a 180g. they're all alive, they've never had a medical issue (ich, etc).(Knock on Wood) My nephew, (who has more experience in the hobby than I do) has tried to keep 3 tangs (at different times) in a 65g tank that has been up for years. None of his tangs made it, we feed the same food, we shop at the same stores, we do the same care on our tanks.

So I have to respectfully disagree that the Tang Police are ridiculous. If you're going to get into a hobby this time consuming, and this expensive, at least have the common sense to do some research before you purchase, Google is your friend. Personally, I think the research on fish is as rewarding as the actual purchase.

Just my :twocents::D

How about I post this on RC:

Just put a Mandarin Goby and a pair of blue tangs in my 29G to help it cycle, Should I add any rock to my tank? Also the anemone doesn't look so good but I think the bioballs and the canister filter should help with that. Down the road, I may get some lights to put over the tank so it looks better. All comments are welcome.

Common sense and patience go a long way in this hobby.......
I am a QTer,i think thats the best way to avoid the ich...
I guess i am a member of the tang /angel police:wink:,but I don't bash the heck out of people,and only cringe to myself when i see an example of it.
Fish swim,if they aren't swimming, they are dying..
Some fish like to swim more than others....i have 2 clowns who have a corner of the tank and thats where they spend their time,like most clowns they'd be fine in a 29 gallon ...
Big fish need room,if you can honestly tell me that a 6+ inch tang or angel even remotely looks right in a 65 or under tank then something is wrong with your perception of the obvious....
I have a 125 (72"x18") with 4 potential 8+ inch fish ,IMO my tank is only a temporary home for them...i have upgraded twice in 5 years ,and plan one more.....
so many new comers say they will do these upgrades and never do......
At the end of the day, there is really nothing we can do to about it...

Last edited:
How about I post this on RC:

Just put a Mandarin Goby and a pair of blue tangs in my 29G to help it cycle, Should I add any rock to my tank? Also the anemone doesn't look so good but I think the bioballs and the canister filter should help with that. Down the road, I may get some lights to put over the tank so it looks better. All comments are welcome.

:^: :bounce: do IT!!!!!

I think the article is an excellent one in general. You see so many people making wide, over reaching, declarative statements about things in this hobby, which honestly almost always makes me laugh. I've found that the number of things in the hobby that are truly iron clad rules to be followed at all times are very few and very far between.

The amount of conflicting information is amazing and the amount of change in the hobby should be a testament to that. Things considered to be the standard 5-10 years ago are now considered to be a waste of time at best or more often actually detrimental. Putting a large fish in a small tank is obviously not a great idea but if that fish is put in a medium sized tank and very well cared for he may do better than a person who has a massive tank that doesn't spend the time and energy of the first person taking care of their tank.

My feeling on the saltwater hobby is to do as much research as you can from sources that have actual long years of experience and then go slowly. If everyone did those two things I think the success that could be obtained in scenarios that many people like the TP would call insane would shock a great many people.

Not everyone does the research required to keep fish... and I have never once been asked while buying a large fish what size tank I have.

The reality is people are impatient. I know I am...but I'd rather force myself to be impatient than rush off w/o researching. We were talking about this in chat last night. I can honestly say I've never done an uneducated impulse buy...yes...I've done impulse buy...but by then, I would have already done minimal research. I've turned down fish impulse buy if I didn't know enough about them (it wasn't enough for me to take my LFS's word on it). I don't have a million bux to spend on a $40 fish that will probably not make it in my current setup. This hobby is not an exact science, and even if you give the fish above-minimum requirements, feed healthy foods, and keep up on maintenance, the fish could still die....but I at least give them a chance to make it. I get awfully attached to fish. I will hem and haw a month before I even go out and buy a new fish.....maybe that's why after a year, my 125 still only has a few fish LOL

People will do as people will do...it sucks, but the most we can do is inform them and advise them.....then maybe laugh at them when their tank crashes because they didn't listen to us Bwahahahahaaha!

I still think its a matter of common sense ,and honestly what you like to see when you look at your tank......personally for me ,i love to watch my tang and angel give a couple quick flips of their fins and catch the current down to the other end ...then turn around and swim straight back into it, then rinse and repeat....not sure "I" would get the same enjoyment at watching my tang zip in and out and buzz around a 3 foot tank...
To me ,if you can look into your tank and it makes you happy ,then all is well,and your doing something right....your fish will let you know if your doing something wrong:Cheers:
Everybody should be able to just sit back and enjoy their tanks .....

So I have to respectfully disagree that the Tang Police are ridiculous. If you're going to get into a hobby this time consuming, and this expensive, at least have the common sense to do some research before you purchase, Google is your friend. Personally, I think the research on fish is as rewarding as the actual purchase.

I agree with what you're saying but the author is talking about the smaller infractions and the more extreme tang police. If a tang is rated for a 75g tank and someone puts him in a 55g and gets jumped on my the tang police, he's saying that there are so many factors involved that not only may 55g be OK (not great, but ok), but it could also be possible that the fish really needs a 125! And ya, you can google... that's easy enough... but what scientific data is the google results based on? A tang might do fine in my 130g that is only 36" square and has lots of live rock, and it might do just as well in Joe Bloe's 4 foot 125g tank with no live rock. And then Sally Uglyface might jump on both of us and say it needs to be in a 150g, without adding any additional requirements about length of tank, amount of live rock etc. But in reality what he really needs to replicate his home is a 1,000g tank. There's common sense and then there is the extremes, and I believe the authors is talking about the extremes, and the unknowns. Does 20% really make a difference. Probably not! And most of the tang police are just repeating what they've heard on the interwebs. I can go to Live Aquaria and see what they recommend for tank size... but there are so many variable that if it says a fish requires 150g, that's not really telling me much. It's just a starting point.

So ya, i still think the article has a lot of merit and gives us something to think about. I also don't think he is condoning putting fish into too small a tank. But instead he is questioning the validity of the extreme tang police members.

Back