Arrow Crab Opinions

Kizmar

#derpface
I'm tossing around the idea of getting an Arrow Crab to keep the bristleworm population down in my tank.

I realize these worms do provide some benefit to the tank's cleanliness, but they creep me out to no end. So... I want to keep them to a minimum. Also, I figure if there's an Arrow Crab eating them, I won't end up with some giant rogue bristleworm in the tank like some people have run in to. Gnaaahhhh!!! /skin crawling

Anyway, unlike the Six Line Wrasse I had, I want to do some research and get experienced opinions on these. If you've had one or have one, did they bother anything else in your tank? Were they a nuisance of any kind? Did it quickly outgrow your tank (I hear some can get pretty big)?

Last edited:
I know some can get pretty big, and remember that basically all crabs are opportunistic, and will catch and eat a fish if given the chance, but I have always heard stories about these guys killing hermits and so on, generally not being reef safe. but maybe someone else can give an opinion.

Here's another way to approach this subject: is there another way to accomplish what I'm trying to do here (keep bristleworm numbers down)?

Cut back on the food. You wont see a difference overnight but they will disappear. And there is always manual removal. A freshwater dip can drive some of them out of rock too.

Over the years, I have rarely NOT had an Arrow Crab in my Reef. Useful and cool to watch too! I did have just one that was a bit ugly to a Scarlet Hermit- just THAT Scarlet though-- some kind of vendetta I guess. I ended up removing said hermit. I will tell you though, that I have not been able to keep one alive for over 3 years- and I have kept many inverts and fishes into waay old age. They sure do munch down on Bristles!
I have a crap-ton of Bristles right now- 'cause I don't have an Arrow. 2 of them are like 14 inches long. I am not for sure, but I think that those are the females-- 'cause when I let one live in a tank by itself, I had a population explosion in short order.
Second Option-- get a Bristle Worm trap. They are cheap and pretty effective over time. Takes longer though. Hope that helps you.

Back