Article on reef tanks 101

Chris

Reefing newb
Hi guys & gals,

I am getting ready to crank Living Reefs articles section up. The first article will be reef tank setup 101. We seem to have lots of newbies to the reefing hobby on this forum. I want to create an article that will help answer most of their general questions. I would like everyones input on this topic so that its not bias towards my particular setup.

So lets start of with equipment lists, stocking guide lines, lighting guid lines, etc.

Lets put our thinking caps on.

Thanks!! :goldfish:

Tank

Buy the biggest you can since you'll outgrow very quickly. Trust me. If you want to start with a 55gal tank, think twice since the width of the tank is not as great as a 75gal. Better to add the money and get the width, all the other equipment will be the same for either. (Unless you buy a 55gal tank at a garage sale and the cost is next to nothing). Try to avoid tall tanks because they have two disadvantages. One, their hard to clean out since your arm pits are up to water and second lights on your tank will have to penetrate further down into the aquarium. This may not be so bad because you could put corals that require low lighting (i.e. mushrooms) at the bottom.

Lights

One of the most important things on a reef tank is the lighting. You must purchase a lighting system designed for a reef aquarium or build one yourself. The standard lights that come with your tank are undersized for a reef tank. If your figure around 5 to 8 watts per gallon you should be fine. Just remember that you can't have too much light because you will never get as bright as the sun at noon on a reef. The three types of lighting for a reef tank are Very High-Output (VHO), Metal Halide (MH) and Power Compacts (PC). The use of High Output (HO) lights will work if low light requirements will be needed. HO lights are in the same family as the VHO except they give off less light.IMO The best lighting that you can get is a combination of Metal Halide and VHO.
It's a good idea to put your lights on a timers so they can operate unattended. If you can, use a couple timers so you can slowly bring all the lights on and then slowly shut them off. This will simulate the sunrise and sunset. During the night, keep a small light on (20watts or less) above the tank to simulate the moon. True reef lovers go this far.

Protein Skimmer

A protein skimmer is really great addition to a reef aquarium. When you purchase your protein skimmer, get one that's larger then your tank. I've seen many people purchase a protein skimmer for there 20gal reef aquarium and then serveral months later purchase a 75gal reef aquarium. Then they must purchase a new protein skimmer since the one on the 20gal is to small. Having a higher rater protein skimmer on a smaller tank is fine. You could turn it on for a few days a week and then off the rest of the time. The only disavantage to this is a protein skimmer needs to be tuned to the reef aquarium and you'll have to watch it when you turn it back on so it's fully functional.

Heater

If you have a few extra dollars, it would be a good ideal to have two heaters on your aquarium. In case one heater fails, the other one will take over. Depending on your room temperature allow for 2 watts per gallon of water. With all the lighting and pumps running the aquarium, this only becomes an issue during the winter months. The ideal temperature for most reef aquariums is between 74 and 80 degrees.

Pumps

Like the heater, an extra pump will be helpful for an emergency backup. Plan on a pump to move 6 times the water in your tank. Pumps located in a sump tank are an ideal situation but you can place pumps (power heads) inside the tank.
Note: When choosing a power head, it's best to choose a pump with a large water intake area. This will decrease the amount of fish and other objects sucked into the intake of the power heads. I have woken in the morning to find my yellow tang died in its intake.

Filtration - What’sa Right for Your Tank!

The better filtration in your system, the better it will be in the long run. A Reef Tank with top of the line filtration has crystal clear water, healthy corals, healthy fish that spawn once in awhile and perfect water. Also, the chances of algae in tanks with good filtration are limited. However, a tank with low filtration and unchanged water can be filled with nuisance algae such as; hair algae, Cyanobacteria, and other unsightly algae’s. So, your tank should have the best filtration you can afford. Otherwise you’ll just loose livestock and equipment.

Wet/Dry Filter

A normal hang-on filter is a good choice, it can be a place to house activated carbon which helps remove organic waste and yellow water. This also helps eliminate surface scum, dust and bad water quality.it is also easy to maintain.

Canister filters will provide the same filtration as hang on but are more difficult to maintain and can add excessive nitrate if there sponges are not rinsed least once a week.

Berlin-Style Filtration: Live Rock & Protein Skimming
A large quantity(1 to 1.5 lbs per gallon) of cured live rock plus an efficient protein skimmer

Deep sandbed
Utilizes a thick bed of calcium carbonate substrate(sand), to promote the anaerobic chemical and biological reduction of nitrates.
sump/refugium

The sump is simply a reservoir like an empty aquarium that sits below the main aquarium which has an overflow that drains into it. This lower pool/sump/aquarium catches the drained water and a "sump pump" like a large power head returns the water back up to the main tank in a big continuous loop. Some sumps(refugiums) are empty, some sumps have filters in them and some even have live plants or animals in them.

RO or RO/DI Water filters

Use RO water only.Purchase a good RO filter because most water from your local city or town supply is to polluted for use in your reef tank directly.
If you have local water store you can purchase RO water by the gallon.

My hands are numb now,but here is a start

the 1st step is to develope a format/index/guide for the progression of articles. once the index is in place then articles can be written to fill in the text. ill drop an index suggestion next post. just a thought. only mine.

HERE IS A START OR SUGGESTION OF SOME APPLICABLE ARTICLES and a format. each number is an article, the subtitles are part of the article.

1. Things to do before starting your own coral aquarium
2. How to choose a lighting system for corals
3. Water Quality
a. reverse osmosis
b. deionization
4. Sea Water Chemistry
a. temperature
1. heaters
2. chillers
b. salinity
1. refractometers
2. distilled water
c. ph
1. alkalinity
D. Nutrient Ions
1. nitrogen compounds
2. Phosphate
3. calcium
5. record keeping (short article)
6. Nutrient Management
a. Biological filtration
b. mineralization
c. Heterotrophs
d. live rock
7. Denitrification
a. live sand
8. Photsynthesis
a. Zooxanthellae
b. bio mass
c. filters
d. assimilation
e. a stable population
9. Dissoved Organic Carbon Removal
10. Detritus and water changes
11. Accessories
a. electronic monitoring devices
12. How To Test and Adjusting Water Conditions

HOPE SOMETHING HERE HELPS LET ME KNOW.

Wow! Thanks for the input. I am writting my version right now, will post soon. I think we can incorporate everyones information into a single article.

Ok, I took minireefers start (thanks a million by the way) and add some of my own notes thru out it. I have a small project for jhnrb towards the bottom. I will reorganize it when the article is done when everyone approves of the content, add some pictures etc.

Do you think we need a stocking guide line and a cycling guide line.

I don't want to write a book, just give usefull starter info.

When we are done I have a profesional writer that I will have clean it up.

P.S. I failed english comp 101 twice in college... I did finally pass with a "C" but it is definetly not my cup of tea.

Tank

Buy the biggest you can since you'll outgrow very quickly. Trust me. If you want to start with a 55gal tank, think twice since the width of the tank is not as great as a 75gal. Better to add the money and get the width, all the other equipment will be the same for either. (Unless you buy a 55gal tank at a garage sale and the cost is next to nothing). Try to avoid tall tanks because they have two disadvantages. One, their hard to clean out since your arm pits are up to water and second lights on your tank will have to penetrate further down into the aquarium. This may not be so bad because you could put corals that require low lighting (i.e. mushrooms) at the bottom. Get a glass tank if possible. Acyclic tanks scratch very easy.

Lights

One of the most important things on a reef tank is the lighting. You must purchase a lighting system designed for a reef aquarium or build one yourself. The standard lights that come with your tank are undersized for a reef tank. If your figure around 5 to 8 watts per gallon you should be fine. Just remember that you can't have too much light because you will never get as bright as the sun at noon on a reef. The three types of lighting for a reef tank are Very High-Output (VHO), Metal Halide (MH) and Power Compacts (PC). The use of High Output (HO) lights will work if low light requirements will be needed. HO lights are in the same family as the VHO except they give off less light.IMO The best lighting that you can get is a combination of Metal Halide and VHO.
It's a good idea to put your lights on a timers so they can operate unattended. If you can, use a couple timers so you can slowly bring all the lights on and then slowly shut them off. This will simulate the sunrise and sunset. During the night, keep a small light on (20watts or less) above the tank to simulate the moon. True reef lovers go this far.

Protein Skimmer

A protein skimmer will remove unwanted foreign materials such as waste and overfeeding. A protein skimmer does this by producing foam like what you see at the beach. A protein skimmer is really great addition to a reef aquarium. When you purchase your protein skimmer, get one that's larger then your tank. I've seen many people purchase a protein skimmer for there 20gal reef aquarium and then serveral months later purchase a 75gal reef aquarium. Then they must purchase a new protein skimmer since the one on the 20gal is to small. Having a higher rater protein skimmer on a smaller tank is fine. You could turn it on for a few days a week and then off the rest of the time. The only disavantage to this is a protein skimmer needs to be tuned to the reef aquarium and you'll have to watch it when you turn it back on so it's fully functional.

Heater

If you have a few extra dollars, it would be a good ideal to have two heaters on your aquarium. In case one heater fails, the other one will take over. Depending on your room temperature allow for 2 watts per gallon of water. With all the lighting and pumps running the aquarium, this only becomes an issue during the winter months. The ideal temperature for most reef aquariums is between 74 and 80 degrees. If you cannot keep your temperature down you can purchase a chiller to help regulate the heat. Remember everything you put in the tank, like pumps, generates heat.

Pumps

Like the heater, an extra pump will be helpful for an emergency backup. Plan on a pump to move 6 times the water in your tank. Pumps located in a sump tank are an ideal situation but you can place pumps (power heads) inside the tank.
Note: When choosing a power head, it's best to choose a pump with a large water intake area. This will decrease the amount of fish and other objects sucked into the intake of the power heads. I have woken in the morning to find my yellow tang died in its intake.

Filtration - What’sa Right for Your Tank!

The better filtration in your system, the better it will be in the long run. A Reef Tank with top of the line filtration has crystal clear water, healthy corals, healthy fish that spawn once in awhile and perfect water. Also, the chances of algae in tanks with good filtration are limited. However, a tank with low filtration and unchanged water can be filled with nuisance algae such as; hair algae, Cyanobacteria, and other unsightly algae’s. So, your tank should have the best filtration you can afford. Otherwise you’ll just loose livestock and equipment.

Wet/Dry Filter

A normal hang-on filter is a good choice, it can be a place to house activated carbon which helps remove organic waste and yellow water. This also helps eliminate surface scum, dust and bad water quality.it is also easy to maintain.

Canister filters will provide the same filtration as hang on but are more difficult to maintain and can add excessive nitrate if there sponges are not rinsed least once a week.

Berlin-Style Filtration: Live Rock & Protein Skimming
A large quantity(1 to 1.5 lbs per gallon) of cured live rock plus an efficient protein skimmer

Deep sandbed
Utilizes a thick bed of calcium carbonate substrate(sand), to promote the anaerobic chemical and biological reduction of nitrates.
sump/refugium

The sump is simply a reservoir like an empty aquarium that sits below the main aquarium which has an overflow that drains into it. This lower pool/sump/aquarium catches the drained water and a "sump pump" like a large power head returns the water back up to the main tank in a big continuous loop. Some sumps(refugiums) are empty, some sumps have filters in them and some even have live plants or animals in them.

RO or RO/DI Water filters

Test your local tap water first and if its in exceptable limits then your fine. Otherwise
use RO water only.Purchase a good RO filter because most water from your local city or town supply is to polluted for use in your reef tank directly.
If you have local water store you can purchase RO water by the gallon.

Some of jhnrb’s ideas….

Test kits

You will need some test kits. Purchase the 5 in one test kit for saltwater which should help you make sure your water is in acceptable limits, these are cheap and fast. For more detailed information on your water buy a large test kit or individual test kits to test for oxygen level, nitrates, nitrite, ammonia, phosphaptes, alkalinity, ph, calcium levels and a possible TSD (total dissolved solids) meter.

Salinity Meter

You should buy a salinity meter and make sure your water has the correct amount of salt per gallon of water.

Refractometers?

What the hell is this? :)

JHNRB can you write a little on the nitrogen compounds, phosphate & calcium levels ( oh maybe a list of calcium levels for keeping fish only, soft corals, hard corals & clams.) And a section on testing and adjusting water conditions.

Live Sand & Live Rock

Live sand and live rock are a must for a reef tank. The live sand introduces need bacteria to break ammonia down to nitrites then nitrites down to nitrates. The live rock gives the bacteria a place to live and also provides bio-diveristy to your tank. Reef tanks without live rock are ugly.

Nitrogen compounds

Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are the major nutrient ions produced in a marine aquarium. They are components of the biological filtration process, which is essential to the survival of the aquarium inhabitants.

Protiens, which are found in every kind of food, are amino acid compounds. These amino acid compounds eventually wind up either in the protiens of the animal that has consumed the food or in the water as excreted ammonia. Fish and inverebrates do not tolerate large amounts of ammonia in the water.

Nitrifying bacteria cultivated in the aquarium convert the ammonia into nitrite and then into nitrate. Tests for ammonia and nitrite are used to determine if these bacteria processes are proceeding correctly. Test for ammonia and nitrite should always be zero after a population of nitrifying bacteria is established in the aquarium.

Nitrate is the end product of bilogical filtration and is tolerated to some degree by marine organisms. Tests for nitrate should be performed on a weekly basis. water changes should be carried out with sufficient frequency and in amounts large enough to keep the nitrate concentrations rather low, max. 20 mg/l or less. ideally less than 5 mg/l (nitrate-nitrogen).

Nitrate is not toxic to marine organisms in small amounts. The accumulation or sometimes depletion of other compounds as the result of insufficient water changes may be harmful to the aquarium's inhabitants. Such effects are often incorrectly attributed to nitrate, allthough, nitrate accumulation can be a convenient indicator of the need to perform a partial water change.

Last edited:
Phosphate and Calcium

Phosphate concentration above the limit of detection for aquaium test kits are often associated with algae blooms. Algae are not necessairly harmful unless corals are being smothered by an algae mat. Limiting the amount of phosphate in the water will be the 1st important technique in controlling algae blooms.

Calcium levels in natural sea water are apprx. 400 mg/l. Chemical and biological processes in the aquarium reduce the calcium concentration over time and adding calcium supplements will be required if you stock you system with animals that use more calcium than the water changes can keep up with. calcium levels for fish only tanks are fine at the 400 mg/l and for coral systems appr. 420 to 460 mg/l. There are multible ways to add calcium, but, that issue is for another article.

Last edited:
Testing and Adjusting Water Conditions

One of the terms for this article that is found in the industry is test and tweak. This is the procedure I prefer over others. To follow this procedure you will test for important parameters on a weekly basis to start and then tweak the water conditions back into line if they read out of the optimal levels. always test same time of day for consistency of test results and use test kits that are not over a year old or are known to be good.

Temperature is critical and you will want to maintain a constant temperature with as little fluctuation as possible. Minor changes in temperature from day and night of say not more than 4 degrees in the most severe case can be tolerated by most animals we keep as long as the change is not sudden. I recommend a max 2 to 3 degree change in temperature if posssible. larger swings can be tolerated by some animals. Normally chilling is not a problem unless in the middle of a storm and with power failure. During this time you could cover the tank with blankets and wrap it to maintain as much heat as possible, however, when power is back on you will need to remove the insulation/ blanket right away.

Salinity will increase as water evaporates from the aquarium and will vary with ambient conditions of temperature, humidity, ventilation and other factors, so, is difficult to predict. As water evaporates the seawater in the tank becomes more salty. Weekly checks with a hydrometer should be done to insure the salinity does not rise abve 36%. (hydrometer calibration conversion subject of future article). Add distilled or RO water not sea water, to compensate for evaporaton and restore salinity to 35%. Makeup water should be added before the evaporation reaches 10% say max. 5% or you risk damage to some of the inhabitants due to a salinity that is too high or a change that is too large. Makeup should be done on the average continuously or at least every 2-3 days if evaporation is slow, and more frequent if evaporation is fast.

Nitrate tests are a good way to insure that inputs of food are balanced by the bacterial activities collectively known as biological filtration. A rise in nitrate ion level above the typical baseline for your aquarium, usually about 20mg/l for fish only and 5 mg/l reef call for an investigation into the source of the accumilation. Generally a water change can be performed to lower nitrates but investigation into the cause should be conducted and the cause corrected so as to keep the readings within acceptable limits.

Other tests that should be performed on a weekly basis initially are PH, and alkalinity. Since PH fluctuates during the day and night it is important to test the PH at the same time each day. an abnormal PH reading should be a warning to investigate the cause. Poor areation can cause the PH to fall and additon of too much limewater/Kalkwasser can cause the ph to rise. Alkalinity and calcium levels are maintained by the addition of chemical agents such as limewater, or other supplements. addition of limewater will help to stablize ph, alkalinity and calcium levels.( amounts and time to add subject of another article in future)

Last edited:
a book

Chris,
You're doing a great job. Why not write a book. We've got the resources. I just got a digital camera (Sony Cybershot DSC-S60)and couldn't upload my pics to the site for some reason. I assume you're using JPEG format. If not, let me know. I want to help contribute.
Keep up the great site.
_Burney

testing and tweaking

Nice article JHNRB,
I hope you can tell us how to make the adjustments(tweaks) if our test readings are off. So many books and articles just read "make adjustments if necessary" and don't tell use how or what exactly to do. This would help the newbies.
Write on!
_Burney

absolutely tangboy. we will do our best to assist on questions as they develope, but, always remember that there is usually more than one way to get there, and the same correction may not have the same result in every system, that is what makes this hobby such an interesting and dynamic venture full of fun, successes, failures, and just plain enjoyment while getting educated on marine animals by on the job training. anyway we will try to contribute to any questions that arise. thanks for the feed back.

Ideas For Living Reef Article

The other people mentioned most of the ideas that I had so I will just say that good water quality can't be stressed too much. It is the key to many possible problems in these type set ups.

I am currently using two Smart Lights on a 65 gallon tank and have seen growth in several of my soft corals. My questions are: are thes considered to be VHO lights and are they enough for Acropora or other hard corals of that type?

Ed

Back