Assistance with buying new aquarium

cmejio

Reefing newb
I have been looking for an aquarium. I do not have too much experience with them but I have started doing some reading and I'm trying to learn as much as possible. Although I think that it will be nice to start my own aquarium, I have found that it would cost me more that if I buy an established one. I welcome any thoughts on this as well.

I found this listing and I wanted to know if there is any advise. I am planning on offering $600 for the following:

***listing***

Serious inquiries only. I've got almost $3K worth of stuff here so for $1000 obo you can have an established (2 years old) 55 gallon aquarium. You can take this home and literally have a reef aquarium Corals, Fish, Rocks, Sand, Water, etc. It comes with EVERYTHING, will not split up. I've already sold the corals/fish that I wished to sell separately.

Live stock includes 2 Ocellaris Clownfish, anemone, snails, hermit crabs, emerald crabs, conchs. Also has numerous coral such as mushrooms, palys, zoas, leathers, frogspawn, gsps. Tank has 50lbs of live rock, 40 lbs live sand. If you were to buy all this livestock alone you'd spend well over $800.

Here's what the hardware would cost new.

55 gallon AGA Tank w/Stand $300 (not drilled for overflow)
Coralife Lunar Aqualight HO T5 Aquarium Light Fixture $250
Reef Octopus BH1000 HOB Protein Skimmer $189
CPR Aquatics AquaFuge External Hang-On Refugium Large $159
Hydor Koralia Evolution 850 powerheads x 2 $60
Eheim Jager Heaters 150 and 75 $60

Extras:
10 gallon tank w/ Blue damsel, Assorted snails, hermit crabs, 5# live rock and sand, Hagen aqua clear filter, marine land led hood
10 gallon Hospital tank
4- 5 gallon water containers
4 brand new True Lumen T5 Bulbs 2 white, 1 blue, 1 purple
Assorted frozen and dry food, chemicals, test kits, nets, etc.

**what do you guys think?? There are some pictures if you think it is important to see them.

00D0D_furR0u75NUg_600x450.jpg
00t0t_jBTKw2GIbvW_600x450.jpg
00x0x_9zGX2kyAo9l_600x450.jpg
01717_cFqoyhFFxVK_600x450.jpg

If it looks like the pics in person than I would pick it up. $600 - $1000 is a good deal any more it would have to think about it. Good luck.

No it's a very good package, ask how old the bulbs are they may need replacing. And you may want to upgrade the lights down the road depending on what you want to keep for corals.
Also you will want to invest in some test kits ph, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, alk, calcium, mag, and a refractometer

Yep, I would pick it up if it looks as good as the picture. And like Steve said, you may look at new lights down the road, ReefBreeders LED's have good reviews, and Steve and I can attest to those. But if you plan on softies and zoas, they would be fine.

P.S. To replace 4 bulbs would probably be $120-160 depending on what bulbs you use. The ReefBreeders fixtures are $180 each and shipped and never need replaced. (Okay, maybe in like 10-15 years...)

Good buy!! I bought an 85 gal, and I'm still putting everything together.. But taking my time will save me in the long run from making improvement changes right away.. I've changed plans roughly 30 times since tank purchase..

I plan to post a build thread with plenty of photos..

How is your tank?? Any new additions??

I'm very happy with the tank so far. It's doing great. I decided to go with an established tank when I bought it for a couple of reasons. Mainly because it saved me so much money. However, I think going through the cycling time is a very good experience.

I have added a potter angel fish that is doing very well. And also an Hoeven's wrass doing good as well.

I have purchased a carbon and gfo reactor and changed the lights to led. I bought the maxspect p series lights in a very good deal.

Let me know when you post your pics.

Back