Asterina stars

Bifferwine

I am a girl
I know this is a question we see a lot, "Should I leave the asterina stars in, or take them out?" Usually the answers are split 50/50, but this is why I recommend removing them:

Asterina Stars - Club-Zoa

He says for the longest time, the asterinas didn't touch his corals, then all of a sudden, they turned his corals into a buffet.

asterina_id_wwm_1.jpg

is it these guys? if so I would leave em in. I have probably close to 100 I would imagine. and they all came off rock that was in a huge 850 reef tank. never any problems here.... I know I don't have near the corals you have but I still have some and no problems yet. plus they are really cool looking. I feel bad when I hit them with the mag float haha

Sounds like that damn chacolate chip star I have. Nice for now then BAM I eating all your $h!t.LOL

is it these guys? if so I would leave em in. I have probably close to 100 I would imagine. and they all came off rock that was in a huge 850 reef tank. never any problems here.... I know I don't have near the corals you have but I still have some and no problems yet. plus they are really cool looking. I feel bad when I hit them with the mag float haha

That's exactly what Brandon said though, Redline. Had them for years, never touched anything. Then they all went carnivorous on his ass and he is having a really hard time getting rid of them since he let them go unchecked in his tank for so long!

I laughed when I read that about the magfloat! Uh oh, the vegetarian god shall strike me down!

i have never had problems with them, but i am starting to remove them because i have noticed an increase in the number of them in my system.

Biff I'm going on eight months with asterinas and still haven't lost any corals.Strange that they haven't seem to spread all that much.I still believe they make good scavengers but if yours is overpopulating them pluck them out.

Take them out!!! they eat coraline algae, I got some free live rock from some one, & they got all over my 110G tank & my 29G tank, days of taking them out one by one, now that im thinking about it, the guy that gave me the live rock, did not have coraline algae at all. :sfish:

Back