Asterina Stars

Bifferwine

I am a girl
I've always had tons of asterinas in my tank for as long as I've had my tank. They've never seemed to bother anything, and I've usually only ever seen them on the glass.

For the last week I've been doing a blackout on my tank for dinos. During this time, every shred of algae in my tank has died off -- including the film algae that normally grows on the glass day to day.

Today I checked on my tank, and the asterinas had moved off the glass and were covering my corals. They had obliterated several (expensive) zoa frags that just yesterday looked perfect. They were covering my blastos, several of which had receded due to the blackout already. The asterinas were even on top of my hammers and torch corals.

I'm having a hard time believing that overnight all of these corals just got sick and died and the asterinas were cleaning up after the mess. I've been keeping a very close eye on everything during the blackout, inspecting the tank twice a day. Nothing is out of whack or could explain the sudden deaths of several different corals in different areas of the tank (water quality is fine). The most obvious explanation is that the blackout killed off their normal food source -- algae, and they had to find something else to eat.

I have heard similar stories before about asterinas, that they are fine for a long time, then all of a sudden you'll find them eating healthy corals. I took those stories with a grain of salt, but now it has happened to me too. My zoas and palys are just little nubs now.

I'm ordering a harlequin shrimp today. We'll take care of this problem naturally.

Last edited:
I have the ones with a bluish spot and I have watched then eat coralline -they leave a little bleach-white trial behind them. The moment I see one I pick it out with tweezers. The come out more at night so hunt them with a flashlight.

Is there anything that will eat them? Perhaps a larger starfish would?

Bummer, biff :( You solve one problem, only to cause another. Are they all dead, really? Or just sick from all the asterinas feeding on them?

Mostly zoa frags are dead. Well, I don't know if they are dead. Like I said, there are little nubs of flesh left. But no identifiable polyps. I picked off any ones that were on the corals with tweezers, but there are tons on the rocks and glass that I didn't bother with.

The harlequin shrimp specializes on starfish -- which means I need to find it a new home once it cleans my tank out. Which is fine.

Sorry Biff. You have me rethinking those little devils now.

Well I'm thinking they ARE okay as long as you have algae. After my blackout, I had zero algae -- not even on the glass, which is what I'm guessing is normally their primary food source. Take that away, you starve the starfish, and they resort to eating less-optimal foods, like corals.

I've got them to. I've found a nice use for them..My kids are in love with them! I catch a 1/2 dozen a day. They've been taking them to school and giving htem to their friends!

My youngest son was playing with one the other day. When he got bored with it, he said "Dad what do you want me to do with him?" I said, "Just throw him in away"... It did not compute. he could not understand why I was telling him to throw a perfectly good starfish away.

Those things will live forever in a ziploc bag and some salt water.

Back