ATO and salt creep

chiqui bb

Reefing newb
I have a sump and want to add an auto top off. I spoke to one of the guys from TheFilterGuys which is where I got my RO/DI system.

He strongly recommended that I purchase a top off controller. Yikes! The controller with accessories was really expensive! He said using a standard float valve would inevitably lead to a flood due to salt creep.

How many of you are using an ATO without a controller? Is this really necessary?

Well, the best thing is to have a dual stage float valve like the one available from autotopoff.com. This way if the first valve gets gummed up, chances are the second one will be ok. Just check the system periodically. I had one of those running over a year with no problems and it never went to the second.

With using one float valve, chances are if it gets stuck, it will get stuck in the closed position. But there is still a chance it will happen the other way which will cause a flood like he says. An electronic cut off will prevent this.

FWIW, I've been running a single float valve in my sump with a gravity feed ATO for over a year with no problems. Actually, I did have to replace my float valve but only because a part of it broke. Nothing to do with salt creep though. Just plastic failure on one of the connectors. I was able to catch it in plenty of time.

I'm confused, every ATO system I'm seen does come with a controller. The float valves are what tell the controller to turn on and off. I've been using my ATO for about 6 months now and only had the salt creep affect it once. I just pour some RO water onto the valve and it worked fine after that.

I'm confused, every ATO system I'm seen does come with a controller. The float valves are what tell the controller to turn on and off. I've been using my ATO for about 6 months now and only had the salt creep affect it once. I just pour some RO water onto the valve and it worked fine after that.

Not all do. They can be gravity fed like mine, or use a small pump and switch like the autotopoff ones do, but not really a controller.

I've got a gravity based ATO system with a single float valve. It's been working great a for a few months. I usually clean it every few weeks or so. Best $22 bucks I've spent!

I've got a gravity based ATO system with a single float valve. It's been working great a for a few months. I usually clean it every few weeks or so. Best $22 bucks I've spent!

$22...now we're talking!! That's more my price range. Can you tell me where you purchased it from or was it a DIY project? Any pics or other details?

I spent a whopping $10 in parts and materials on my diy'd ATO. Bought 2 float switches for $5 or something like that. I took one, wired it to an extension cord, and built a casing out of pvc for the switch itself to keep it steady in the water. The one thing I will add is a timer, so in case my floatswitch fails and stays "on" (like it did one time), then the power will cut out after a while to avoid floods.

The one time mine failed me was during some intermittent power outages...I checked my sump the next day, and noticed the switch shorted, and even though i raise the float switch, there would still be power, leaving my dosing pump to keep putting in water. I guess the storm shorted it. Luckily, had the 2nd switch that came with it :)

I've been using the same one as Lizardgi for about 2 years now. Bought it from Fosters and Smith. It's gravity-fed, and I've never had a problem with it.

Back