Attack of the mantis

surferido

funky buttlovin
hey guys i havent been on in a while due to the fact my tanks has been doing really well. Until the other day i looked at my rock and noticed something i have never seen before..then it hit me it might be a mantis shrimp and i googled baby mantis and yep it was him/her after that i pulled out the rock and put it under cold fresh water and noticed a couple of mantis shrimp lava come out but he didnt. when i put the rock back into the tank i heard the infamous clicking noise in my rock structure..what would be the best way to remove it if i cant find the rock he is in? i have tried the bottle with food but my shrimp and everything elese was in the bottle

thanks

ps. i want to keep him but in a different tank

The easiest way to catch em alive,takes some time.
If you can it used to being fed from your net,then its as simple as getting him scooped up.
But dont expect it to be a quick and easy process.Its far from it.Mantis can and will learn to dodge your attemps to catch them.

Acclimate a live black molley to your tank. They can handle salt water. Put the molley in a gatorade bottle. The mantis will surely come out to hunt. When he swims in the bottle after the fish, slap the lid on.

The easiest way to catch em alive,takes some time.
If you can it used to being fed from your net,then its as simple as getting him scooped up.
But dont expect it to be a quick and easy process.Its far from it.Mantis can and will learn to dodge your attemps to catch them.

how would i do that if i cant even find him?

Well, I guess if it's just a little bugger the molley trick may not work.

Do you at least know which rock it hides in/under? If so, go get yourself a 5g tank from Petco and start cycling it now. Give it a month to cycle and then simply remove the rock (hopefully with mantis hanging on for the ride) and place it in the 5g tank.

Guess im a little more aggressive if it was my problem and I knew which rock it was in I would boil the rock. :shock:

The last one I caught alive,I would place a piece of silverside in a nook in the rock.The mantis got used to that,then I started placing the food in the net,at the same nook.After a coule of months,he'd jump on the net looking for his food.So it was as simple as yanking his butt out.
The last one I had,My yellow coris wrasse got him.Hunted him down like a dog.:D

very true, would be interesting to keep it alive. I just have the ape mentality (or so the wife tells me) if I cant fix it by the time I am through with it no one can. :frustrat:

Drop a little tiny hunk of deli shrimp in the tank and wait for him to come out. Most likely, he'll scamper out and grab the food, then return to his home.

I'd separate all the rocks and spread them out so you know exactly which one he swims out from under. If you have all the rocks piled up in a heap -- no telling which one he is REALLY hiding in.

make sure that you are using something other than your hands to re-arrange the LR. Mantis will cut you open if you give them the opportunity.

I SET THE TRAP AND WITH TWO PREVIOUS FAILURES.....I GOT HIM AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHA A I WIN AHAHHAHAAHAHAHHAAHAHHA btw i bought a 5 gal acrylic and he is only a inch long.........MANTIS SHRIMP...0 SURFERIDO.....1 i love winning

thanks for all your help on catching this little devil before my tank went hell...thanks guys

Back