Auto Top Off System

bangbangkhan

Reefing newb
I just noticed yesterday that I am losing almot a gallon a day in my 90 gallon due to evaporatio. I am thinking of buying a Vertex RO system and a Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper Lite controller.

Now the question is which ATO to buy?

I have two in mind.
1) JBJ
2) Tunze Nano

I will be adding the system to my 30 gallon sump.

Has anyone had any experience with a similar setup?

I just read that digital aquatics also makes a float swtich for their controllers. If I buy that package then I wouldn't need aanother ATO right?

I have this one with zero issues. Double switches just in case the lower one fails.
AutoTopoff.com

+1 on the autotoff.com - works like a charm.

both JBJ and Tunze are great also. BUT if you do get a controller - you can just get the switches and a top off pump and control that via your controller (does use up an outlet though)

i wouldn't get a controller just for an auto topoff though and if you want to use a controller to control/monitor more things i'm not sure i would go with the DA.

+1 on the autotoff.com - works like a charm.

both JBJ and Tunze are great also. BUT if you do get a controller - you can just get the switches and a top off pump and control that via your controller (does use up an outlet though)

i wouldn't get a controller just for an auto topoff though and if you want to use a controller to control/monitor more things i'm not sure i would go with the DA.

I had decided on a controller for keeping check on the temperature...once i read how much i can get out of the DA lite controller i thought might as well put in an ATO and two power heads for the wave maker functionality....even though all my tank has is just water/rocks and sand :shock:. But i just want to invest now and forget about the daily pains...

the nano will work but gives you less room for the float safety valve...I believe the eye and the float are on the same magnet with the tunze nano (they did this just to save space for smaller tanks)

the standard version of the tunze gives you two magnets so you can seperate the eye and float

I'm not sure what you mean about "both units using the same metering pump"...all you gotta deal with is sump level.....

I'm not sure what you mean about "both units using the same metering pump"...all you gotta deal with is sump level.....

If the Nano version uses a smaller pump for delivery that the 3155, then you take a chance of burning up the pump from over working it. If the same pump is used in both set ups, then there should be no issues using either one on a 90 gallon system.

If the Nano version uses a smaller pump for delivery that the 3155, then you take a chance of burning up the pump from over working it. If the same pump is used in both set ups, then there should be no issues using either one on a 90 gallon system.

I do believe the nano has a smaller pump, I tried looking on BRS but it wasn't very specific

bangbangkhan, I would get the bigger version

If you are at all handy I can teach you how to make a low voltage floats, relay operated DIY ATO....I have one....You can add a shutoff and / or alert for low ATO reservoir level....It's quite cheap to build....

We have an electrical / electronics salvage place locally and I nearly live there....

If you are at all handy I can teach you how to make a low voltage floats, relay operated DIY ATO....I have one....You can add a shutoff and / or alert for low ATO reservoir level....It's quite cheap to build....

We have an electrical / electronics salvage place locally and I nearly live there....

I have a DA Lite controller so initially I thought I can make one with that but after taking the cost of the SL module and float switch kit the cost came to the same amount as the nano ATO. I already have an eheim pump for 90 gph.

The tunze would cost around 200 so I think the DA is more economical.

I believe my ATO was about $34 not counting the box and a cheap short extension cord....and that does include the dual float switches....

Back