Auto Top-Off System

kev651

Reefing newb
Well I am leaving for a cruise here in 5 days and I need to find an auto top-off system that costs around $50-$75. I have a 5-gallon bucket and just need water pumped into sump. Does anyone know of any good ones?

I hooked up a tsunami auto top off that uses a pressure switch. And a small uplift dosing pump. It was only about 60 dollars but you have to buy a pump to. It works well.

5 Gallons?

I have a 20Gallon Top Off tank next to my sump and in 3 days it is almost empty.

It only fills up to roughly 15-16 gallons.

5 days and 5 gallons seems like way too little.

If I go for 3 days I have to have someone come and turn on my RO/DI Valve to fill my tank.

If I leave my RO/DI line on to keep my auto top off refilling, even tough the float valve stops the flow from the RO/DI system it keeps over filling my sump. Again only if I leave it on. Makes no sense because it doesn't ever do that when the RO/DI valve is off.

Anyway 5 gallons cannot be enough for 5 days but maybe I am wrong.

The top off systems that were noted above are all good equipment.

I do worry about your 5 gallon reservoir though. My tank is 100 gallons and it empties my 5 gallon container in about two days.
72gallons would not be that far off unless you have very minimal evaporation going on.

If you are going on an extended trip, you can temporarily get a larger Brute (30+ gallons) drum and have it next to your tank.
When you get back you can switch back to the 5 gallon container if the larger drum is unsightly.

If I leave my RO/DI line on to keep my auto top off refilling, even tough the float valve stops the flow from the RO/DI system it keeps over filling my sump. Again only if I leave it on. Makes no sense because it doesn't ever do that when the RO/DI valve is off.

The water could be siphoning from your ATO reservoir into the sump when the reservoir is near full.
What is the height difference between the ATO container and the exit line into the sump?

The water could be siphoning from your ATO reservoir into the sump when the reservoir is near full.
What is the height difference between the ATO container and the exit line into the sump?

The pump it at the bottom of the top off tank, then it goes up and over into the sump. The tanks are roughly the same height. One is a 20 gal tall and the other is a 75Gallon Standard.

The line does angle down once it clears the sumps rim.

The only thing is that it only overfills the sump when the RO/DI that fills the top off tank is left on.

I had the 20Gal drilled to install a shut off float which works every time so far. I guess it is hard not to because it just closes the line as the water lifts it but if I leave the water line on it just keep filing.

I am never there to see it but I know when I forget to shut the water on the other side of the house it keeps filling.

I suppose tonight I could fill it and then just sit there and see wth is going on. I never want to leave it on unless I have no choice but there is usually a family member available to fill it up.

If you look in my Purigen video you can see the top off tank and the hose coming out in the back. The 2 hoses you see in the sump are the Purigen and my GFO, the top off sits just above that water line.

Last edited:
I would strongly advise against setting up a new piece of equipment, and then immediately leaving for 5 days - even something as simple as an ATO. Do you have any idea how long the 5 gallon bucket will last for topping off? Ideally you want to watch this for a few days so you have an idea of how long your holding tank will last before it needs to be filled again

Back