Automatic Water Change System

They are plastic John Guest quick fittings, meant specifically for this tubing. Home Depot and Lowes carry them, but under a different name which i can't recall. It starts with a "W". And they are located with the rest of the small pipe fittings. For the one you are asking about, i used the fitting that has a shut-off valve. This way i can disconnect the line that goes into the house and then connect another short piece of hose if I need access to the FW.

Fittings

thanks! its hard to find a site like that, much appreciated!

The Filter Guys are great. I got my whole RO/DI from them, and then of course other odds and ends when needed. I used them for all the tubing and fittings for the AWCS system in this thread. Great service, quick shipping, and have even gotten my emails replied to on the weekends. :)

Hi! I'm new to the forum. I just designed my own auto water change and was looking online for an answer to a question when I found your thread. Since it's been awhile since you've been up and running - how is it working out for you? Any problems? Mine is actually similar but I want to have the ROI feed into my mixed salt water to prevent changes to salinity. And I didn't plan to have the continual water change going on - but I like that - so I might alter my plan accordingly. Looks like you did a fabulous job. Thanks for your reply in advance!

It's been working great.

Changes in the tank salinity is very slow due to the little amounts of water the system is moving in and out. So as long as you mix your big batch of saltwater to something in the ballpark you will be fine and you can adjust the next time you mix up a new batch or midweek or whatever. For instance I like to keep my tank around 1.024 but i found that during this last batch my salinity dropped to 1.023 so I'll just mix up the next batch a little higher.

What's tough and throws a slight variable into the system is calibrating the two pumps. They have to be calibrated individually and if they are not absolutely the same, it's pretty much impossible to mix up a batch of 1.024 and have the tank stay at 1.024. Because if one of those pumps is moving just a hair more water each day than the other pump, over time it's going to create a swing. So you just have to try to get them calibrated best you can, and then make periodic adjustments the way I explained up above when mixing, or if you can figure it out you can manually adjust the amount of water each pump is moving... tweaking until you get it right. The problem is the pumps do need to be periodically recalibrated according to the manufacturer which means that over time things will probably change slightly.

So overall I love it and don't know what i'd do without it.
But it's not completely "set and forget". You still need to keep an eye on things.

Been looking for a legit way to do this for years. Thanks so much for the nice design. Parts have been arriving all week. I up’d the SW storage tank to 100g. Arrived today from Texas. I’m hoping to get everything running this weekend. Badass!

Been looking for a legit way to do this for years. Thanks so much for the nice design. Parts have been arriving all week. I up’d the SW storage tank to 100g. Arrived today from Texas. I’m hoping to get everything running this weekend. Badass!

Awesome, good luck!
The only thing I dont like about my containers is the small top opening. It's not big enough to fit most decent sized pumps which are needed to get and keep the water mixed up well. The one i had in there died and I haven't gotten another one yet. And the koralia powerhead i have in there now isn't enough.

I'm setting a 120 gallon tank (converting from fresh water to salt water) love that setup two questions, the waste water line is it the sump or the display tank? And how's the system working out for you so far? Thanks in advance

Yeah I just did a water change and thought if I can ATO my fresh water why cant I auto change the salt water? Started googling and sure enough I found this thread.

SOOOO do you still use this set up 2 years later?

I do, but it's modified and on a different tank, since we moved and tore down the cube.
Tobias, all 3 lines (drain, fill, and ato) were run to the sump.

I'm no longer using the LiterMeter pumps and have been thinking of selling them. Could do 40% off the retail price if anyone is interested.

I do, but it's modified and on a different tank, since we moved and tore down the cube.

I'm no longer using the LiterMeter pumps and have been thinking of selling them. Could do 40% off the retail price if anyone is interested.

I am interested in setting something up but I am SO not technical but sounds like something that is totally something my dear honey would LOVE to set up for me. :razz:

What if I dont have a sump? I am still using a HOB skimmer I am such a simpleton. :grumble:

Let me know how much 40% off is and I will consider it.

Thank you for having posted this. Do you still have the pumps? We are building based on your system as well 180/65. In the time you have now had this and the 2nd setup running were there any issues? Crashes? or added components that you would recommend that you changed along the way? What you created is invaluable as many of us who are moving up into bigger tanks will find this for years to come.

Thank you,

Firefighter0

Sorry for the late reply, didn't see your post.
I sold the pumps a while ago. Both systems work great, although my current system I prefer more than the liter meter setup.
It's integrated into my GHL controller and uses regular hobby pumps, it uses level sensors in the sump which is more precise, and there are no rollers that wear out over time. Although regular hobby pumps will eventually go bad I guess.

Back