[b]simple Anemone Reef Tank[/b]

mrdarieus

Reefing newb
I just got a 55gal tank w/stand, I am new to SW, over the past month I have been reading, reading, reading. I visited the LFS and they had on display a 5.5 gal anemone tank. It was beautiful and colorful. I am interested in starting my own simple anemone reef tank but bigger (55g). What equipment do I need other than the standard 30" coralife lunar aqualights compact flourescent strip lights, air stones to circulate the water, Live rock and Live sand?

skimmer is a must anm create alot of waste other then that just some chem now and then like trace elements there real fun but dont plan on putting coral down the line they will sting there pretty easy to keep

Keep all powerheads/filters/overflows etc covered with a sponge or something. They will eventually work there way close enough. If they get chopped up in the pump or caught in an overflow....once this happens your tank will go down hill fast.

Like RareCoral said get a good skimmer and then make sure you use lugol's the skimmer will pull out the iodine.

Brandon

Host animones are from several different evolutionary lineages, but, all require full strength salinity of 35 to 37 ppt, and temperatures of 81 to 84 degrees F (27 to 29C).

Dispite the fact that they have zooxanthellae and require or prefer bright lighting, all host anemones need to be fed and will do best with one, or a pair of clownfish, However, the size of the clownfish needs to be tailored to the size of the anemone.

A moving or unattached anemone is an unhappy anemone and is probably not long for this world. unless conditions are changed. Conditions that may need correction might include: food quantity, food type, current, substrait, or light intensity (too much or too little). Be sure all powerheads and water pumps intakes are carefully screened to prevent accidential injury to a roaming anemone. Tanks with large heavily fed anemonies must have excellent water flow and agressive protein skimming. hope this helps. research the specific anemone you are considering and make sure you can provide the correct environment for the animal and proper care. good luck on your project.

Back