Babies!

vonjankmon

Reefing newb
Well my older pair of Erectus were sneaky little gits and had babies. When I went to empty out the skimmer and pull out some of the cheato in my sump I found that the cheato was just covered in baby seahorses!

After about an hour and a half my wife and I managed to get them all out and into a breeders enclosure I have just sitting in the tank until I can get everything setup to try and raise them. Of course since it was a surprise I don't have anything ready. Going out once the wife and I shower to get some brine shrimp cysts and some other odds and ends I need and I just placed an order for some live rotifers but they won't arrive until Tuesday.

Hoping that all the cheato I have will have enough odds and ends living in it to get them by this first day until I can get the first generation of BBS hatched.

Pic of all of them in the breeder:
IMG_3741.jpg

Wow that's incredible! Best of luck to you raising them! Are you going to try to have things prepared to breed them from here on out? It's hard work! We want more pictures! :D

This is very cool! Congratulations and I'm so glad you found them! How is your boy doing? Any pouch problems?

good luck raising them, it will be fun to follow their progress!

C

No pouch problems that I can see, I'll have to grab him for a closer inspection the next time he comes out of the rock work into the seagrass area but I was out of the house most of today running down things for the babies. Got a batch of rotifers for them and getting some brine shrimp hatcheries setup. I think I have enough rotifers to last for a couple of days until I can start getting a solid stream of BBS.

I have them all in a CPR HOB Refugium I had from my first saltwater tank. I think I'll leave them in there for the first week or so. Makes feeding easier since it's connected to my DT I can just leave a bunch of cheato in there so they can hunt as well as what I feed them. I'll post more pics tomorrow.

Ok so some picture below. Another long day but I think I've just about got everything as set as it is going to get. Last picture is everything I setup in my laundry room for them, two BBS batches, one batch of green water that I started with some of this basically live green water my LFS keeps in a fridge, it's a commercial product but I'm tired and blanking on the name right now. Hoping I added enough miracle grow but the buckets make it hard to tell how blue the water actually is, should have gotten white ones. It's about 3 gallons of water through and like 4 tsp of miracle grow. We'll see how it goes, I have an order of green water and rotifers coming tomorrow so I'll use some of that to start a second culture and see how it goes. I have two more buckets for growing out rotifers also.

I've been feeding the babies rotifers 3-4 times a day so far, I was able to get some from another member of my local fish club who uses them for breeding clown fish, he was a serious live saver. Been making crazy amounts of salt water So...pics!

IMG_3743.JPG
IMG_3744.JPG
IMG_3745.JPG
IMG_3742.JPG
IMG_3748.JPG
Theoria the proud mom, Stevie the dad was hiding in the rockwork when I came by with the camera.
IMG_3752.JPG
IMG_3755.JPG

Back