Baby Box FIsh!

BNR34RB26DETT

Reefing newb
Title says it all. Its a baby box fish!
isnt it the cutest thing ever?
I heard it nips on corals though. Can somebody verify on this?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lsxe8oDy4vE]Cutest Tiniest Fish Alive - Baby Box Fish - YouTube[/ame]

I believe that they do possibly nip at corals. Also, most boxfish / cowfish will release a toxin into the water if they are stressed, which is more than capable than killing other fish. Most fish in this family also need large tanks, on the order of 180 gallons plus. Keeping them in a smaller tank will lead to stress, which will lead to poisoned fish

I had a longhorn cowfish (boxfish) for a couple years in my 150g. These fish have so much personality and are always there to greet you. Mine would graze on the rocks but never touched corals. Loved to eat out of my hand. Not the greatest swimmers so they are clumsy with a lot of flow in the tank. Mine actually got sucked against a power head while I was at work so I don't know for how long but when I got home I discovered it, unplugged the power head and he went about his way. That certainly had to be severe stress but there was no indications that toxins were released. In fact, the more I researched the more I found it was more myth than fact that these fish would release toxins. The fish left when I sold my tank but it is still alive and kicking. I wouldn't hesitate to own one again but they do need bigger tanks with spaced out rock work so they work through the rocks without getting hung up. Here is "Kiwi".
Longhorncowfish-1.jpg

Last edited:
I had a longhorn cowfish (boxfish) for a couple years in my 150g. These fish have so much personality and are always there to greet you. Mine would graze on the rocks but never touched corals. Loved to eat out of my hand. Not the greatest swimmers so they are clumsy with a lot of flow in the tank. Mine actually got sucked against a power head while I was at work so I don't know for how long but when I got home I discovered it, unplugged the power head and he went about his way. That certainly had to be severe stress but there was no indications that toxins were released. In fact, the more I researched the more I found it was more myth than fact that these fish would release toxins. The fish left when I sold my tank but it is still alive and kicking. I wouldn't hesitate to own one again but they do need bigger tanks with spaced out rock work so they work through the rocks without getting hung up. Here is "Kiwi".
Longhorncowfish-1.jpg

thatnks for the input. thats some great info.

Back