baby clam??? ......

Darren&Candace

Reefing newb
hello all ..... so a couple months ago we bought ourselves a couple beautiful squamosa clams, and even when we got it, we noticed a little growth kinda thing between 2 of the flutes on the outside, now as time has passed this thing has grown and is about an inch long, and about 3/8" of an inch across ..... and it does open and close a little!!!! its opening side is towards the clam shell, so I cant see the opening very much at all except for a little tiny bit at one end, and it has a little bit of white fleshy kind of stuff around the edge .... maybe a little color - but its so little, and I cant really say for sure ........ so I wonder what to do with this little wonder!!! do I leave it stuck between the 2 flutes?? .... will it get enough food/light (its up close enough to the big clams mantle that when it opens it basically covers the whole baby) it obviously gets some kind of protection right now from the big clam - I would hate to try and take it out of there and then have the hermits devour it (im getting really tired of looking at those things) hahaha ..... but I would hate to leave it and have it starve because it cant open enough (it can only open now about an 1/8") or get enough light ..... and we want to come up with the best plan to save this little guy whatever it may be .... please help guys and gals ..... someone must have seen something like this before ...
thanks
C&D

If it's growing then it's getting what it needs for now if it is a clam it will move when it's current spot no longer suits it's needs. Just keep a eye on it.

Pics always help:thumbsup:

i'll try to get some pics on in a bit here indeed!! .... I'm just worried that if it is being sheltered too much by the mantle of the big clam that it won't get what it needs ... or that it will grow a little too much and not be able to open enough being wedged in the flutes of the big clam .... but I think yes, keep an eye on the little guy and hope for the best ....
thanks aquarian!!

Back