baby kenya trees not opening

clowntank

Reefing newb
So today I bought three baby kenya trees for $5! what a deal right? :)
They're pretty small (bout 1 inch tall when closed, 3 inches when open), so I had to rubberband them to some small live rock. I did this about an hour ago and none of them have opened. Is this normal?

I also got a Xenia coral (little older), and it opened up pretty good. Not all the way, but a lot more than it was in the bag. that's why I'm concerned about the baby kenyas.

Also, how long does it take for the kenyas to attach to the rock so I can removed the rubber band?

youll be lucky if it doesnt open because kenyas are weeds that are hard to get ride of once established but give it a day or two and they should be open

they do grow into a big tree but you cant get rid of that big tree no matter how hard you try, and just like trees they drop little seedlings and those seedlings spread in your tank and then those grow into trees and drop seedlings, and so on and so forth

Kenya trees do grow quickly at times but if kept in hand they will not take over your tank. We have some in all of our tanks. We just remove the littles ones and give/trade them to fellow reefers. Kenya trees will go thru phases where they will not open up for days and then they will open up completely. Normally when place in a different tank they will take a couple of days to open up. We purchased a used tank that I refer to as the Kenya tree farm. I have given away numerous frag from that tank. We has since move the rock to a bigger tank and still have some nice kenya in the tank. I like Kenya tree so I do not considered it a weed. Some palys and xenia will grow just as fast as Kenya but if you like them then they are not weeds. In our tank the littles ones usually attach in about a week.

Last edited:
I've been trying for over a year to get rid of my kenya weeds ooppps I mean tress.
Got rid of the parent colony,plucked all the ones I seen.I'm still ripping them out.
I'd by far rather have aiptasia.

Oh and the Kenya tree farm also had an aiptasia infestation also. My husband went to war on them and it took him about 3 weeks to get rid of the aiptasia. Kenya tree is easier to see than little aiptasia.

The Biggest Mistake In Reefing I Ever Made
A Short Story By Biffy

I bought one little baby kenya tree.

The end.

Get rid of them. Throw them in the trash. They are awful horrible pests. I started out with one, and they quickly took over every rock, smothered out all my other corals, and there's no way to kill them. I've tried everything. They have killed thousands of dollars worth of corals. Every month or so I go through my tank and remove as many as possible by hand. They end up in the trash. A couple months ago, THREE POUNDS of them ended up in the trash. You think you got a good deal, but you didn't. My LFS won't take them. You can't give them away for free. No one wants them. They are a plague. They take over tanks and kill. I HATE KENYA TREES.

May I brother to ask ...
If they are such a hassle, and kill tanks, and nobody buys them etc... How come every LFS I go to has at least 3 large ones in their [main] tanks?

i have never actually seen one in any of my LFS displays, but its probably because they put one in and then it grew and grew and grew. the one LFS i go to rather often put in a small frag of GSP now they cant get it to stop growing and this is in a 600g display so they can be hard to get to in some cases

You got to remember that a LFS is open for one reason.Thats to make money.
Lets say you buy one kenya for say 5 bucks and it to a tank.Within 3 weeks that one kenya drops ,,,,say,,,15 branches and you sale them for 5 bucks.Then within another week you've got another 25 branches,,,,
See where this is going?

If you like kenya tree corals then enjoy them.

Yote and Bifferwine is correct though.I've remove the rocks and kalk paste every stump that was left after cutting them out.They still grew back,one of the most evasive coral I've ever owned.I've also had corals that were in the vacinity die mysteriously.Since they are a leather/soft coral,I'm sure they have a potent chemical warfare that might of been the reason for the other coral deaths near the kenya.Run carbon often and watch out for dropping branches.

May I brother to ask ...
If they are such a hassle, and kill tanks, and nobody buys them etc... How come every LFS I go to has at least 3 large ones in their [main] tanks?

Are you sure the LFS has kenya trees in their tanks? Or are they colt corals? Colts look very similar, but aren't nearly as noxious.

I really don't want all the trouble it sounds like they'll bring... It's not that pretty of a coral anyways.. lol it's not like a rose tip anemone or anything

Back