Baby Sea Star?

jrock4411

Reefing newb
Iwish I had a decent picture, but I have in my tank what appears to be a very, very tiny (maybe 3mm across) white sea star. It has a central brown spot and 5 arms that look like spaghetti worms. Appears to have hitched in with some frogspawn coral. Anyone know of anything like this? I realize its a vague description with no pic, just hoping it may ring a bell. Thanks! J

Asterina star. For the most part they are harmless, however they can reproduce very rapidly and 1 can end up being a few hundred in no time.

By your description of "arms that look like spaghetti worms", they may also be mini brittle stars. Also harmless.

With spaghetti worm arms.I'm guessing its either a small serpent star or brittle star.
Either way,its safe.

These are asternias. Doesnt sound like them. Almost sounds like mini brittle stars.

100_0616.JPG

Wow guys, thanks again for all the info. I'd say it's a brittle star for sure. More excitement to look forward to.

Thanks, J

I had the kind with a blue spot in them and they started eating my coralline. I picked them out with tweezers until the last was gone. (We humans are good at eradicating a species.)

Back