Baby Starfish

robeterl

Reefing newb
For weeks I have had one of those baby starfish. I didn't think it was an issue since my wife loves him. This morning however I found an additional two starfish. My questions are:

Is this a sign of things to come?

Is this a bad thing, and if so what can I do about this?

Water Parameters

Salinity: 1.025
pH: 8.4
NH3:0
NO2:0
NO3:0

The baby starfish is actually an asternia (sp?) starfish. They wont get any bigger and in some tanks they can become a pest eating soft corals.

I read somewhere there were a couple differnet species of the asternia, one that was totally harmless and one that MIGHT eat soft corals but generally it is the harmless species found in our tanks. I have a lot of them and have never seen any issues with mine.

I think what happens is that they run out of the film algae they normally eat, and then turn to eating corals. I had no problems with them for a long time, but then I had a huge population and no algae to speak of and then they started eating my corals.

harlequin shrimp are good at hunting them down if they take over ur tank. but after they run out of starfish the shrimp will die because...that's all they eat...starfish.

They are a pest. Not a dangerous one but still a pest.I picked every single one out with tweezers. It took months and you really gotta be vigilante. The come out moreso at night.

Back