Back after deciding against trying a nano

Brian041

Diary of a Salty Madman
So I was going to attempt a 10 gallon nano FOWLR tank, but was hesitant due to the supposive difficulty. However my friend has a 55 gallon that is sitting collecting dust and is offering to give it to me. I'd just have to get a skimmer, live rock, live sand, and marine salt. My question is, what would be some good choices to go with a pair of ocellaris clowns? I've dealt with freshwater exclusively so I'm not really that knowledgeable about the saltwater fish out there. I thought I'd try an angler, but found they would eat pretty much anything, so that idea got canned, then I thought about getting a damsel or two, but they get aggressive when they're older, so that idea is out too. What kinds of fish can I put with the clowns that will work in a 55 gallon?

Appreciate the help
- Brian

i can tell you what wont fit in a 55 gallon

damselfriendly.jpg

dont even try it:frustrat:

You'll want to be pretty careful keeping multiple dwarf angels in the same tank especially at that size.

If you're just going fish-only you could do some cool things with a wrasse or other semi-aggressive fish. A puffer, etc. You have a lot of options for a 55 gallon when you don't have to worry about reef safety. :-)

I'd get a few dwarf angels since you wont have to worry about coral nipping :)

I've actually recently acquired a small dwarf flame angel who seems to be thriving in a spare saltwater tank. I love him/her to death. I read that they don't do well with more than one dwarf angel so I'll probably just have him/her as the only dwarf angel.

That's definitely a good plan. In a 55 there are some beautiful butterfly fish that might work. You MIGHT be able to do a yellow tang but I would recommend against it. Obviously wrasses are a good choice, cetain puffers, basslets, anthias, blennies, you could do a school of cardinal fish, too.

Saltwater Fish: Marine Aquarium Fish for Saltwater Aquariums

Just pick some you like :-) More than half will be fine in a 55 gal.

Definitely skip the butterfly fish! They are an expert only animal and dont do very well in captive systems, which is especially true in small systems.

But there are many other good fish choices for your 55

That's definitely a good plan. In a 55 there are some beautiful butterfly fish that might work. You MIGHT be able to do a yellow tang but I would recommend against it. Obviously wrasses are a good choice, cetain puffers, basslets, anthias, blennies, you could do a school of cardinal fish, too.

Saltwater Fish: Marine Aquarium Fish for Saltwater Aquariums

Just pick some you like :-) More than half will be fine in a 55 gal.

Which puffers do you recommend? I was looking at the ones on Liveaquaria.com and most of them seem to be for 70+ gallon systems.

What are your feelings on chromis? I saw the blue reef chromis, agile chromis, and the acares midget reef chromis.

I think some of those you have listed are closer to the damsel side of the family, which can be very mean. I would stick with the blue/green reef chromis, plus those will be the easiest and cheapest to find

I think some of those you have listed are closer to the damsel side of the family, which can be very mean. I would stick with the blue/green reef chromis, plus those will be the easiest and cheapest to find

Right, I remember reading damsels are fierce when they get older. Do you know if any of those I listed have a temperament closer to the blue green reef chromis?

I only did a quick search and i didnt find any personal experience posted about those guys, that would be your most telling source. LA was pretty standard in their description about their attitude, so they could go either way. Just by looking at them, i would guess that the midgets ones are the more calm, peaceful ones.

I only did a quick search and i didnt find any personal experience posted about those guys, that would be your most telling source. LA was pretty standard in their description about their attitude, so they could go either way. Just by looking at them, i would guess that the midgets ones are the more calm, peaceful ones.

Hmm alright. I'll do some more digging before I decide to take them home.

So after doing some more digging I've found that the Agile Chromis and Acares Midget Reef Chromis are semi aggressive. So they are more aggressive than your standard green/blue chromis, but not quite at the level of your normal damsels.

I decided either the Blue Reef or the Orange Line Chromis are my best bets.

Back