Back Again

Fastlight

Semper FI
It has been a long time since I have been on here. I have never lost my love for salt water aquariums. I have forgotten a lot, and a deployment and other unfortunate events I am back. I need some general questions answered again, and I want to keep it simple.

1.I have a 30in 29 gallon tank that I have 4x24w t-5 setup that i was using for plants. If I buy the right lamps for it will it be enough to grow mushrooms and other lps? Or should I go with a 20g long 30in?

2.what kind of hang on protein skimmer should i go with?

3. I have a cannister filter that i can use for filtration but I was thinking about about adding an eheim cannister wet dry system. what do you think?

What else do I need to get going on a reef setup? Besides sand, and live rock and ro/di water?
I need to recall all of this stuff!!

Welcome back Fast.
Just change the bulbs on that light over to 10 or 12 K bulbs and actinics.
Forget the canister filters.Just get a good skimmer and a couple of power heads and you should be set.

since this is a 4 bulb fixture should I go with 2 420nm actinic and 2 10000k/12000k? or mix it up a bit? like 1 actnic 2 10000k and 1 12000k? what would you put on the 2 different switches? and what kind of lighting schedule?

Also you are saying ditch the cannister filter? just a protein skimmer? what about using it for a while with the freshwater bacteria to get the cycle going?

If it was me.I'd go with 2 14K bulbs and 2 actinics.That way you get colors.

Hang onto your canisters for when you need to run some carbon.But I highly doubt the bacteria would be enough to cycle with,

Back