Backup plan??

Steveg229

Addicted
What do you think the better option would be for a power outage? A battery computer backup that will run a few powerheads for several hours? or A powerpack that has the potential to run multiple items, pumps, heater, etc?

You can buy a small generator for less than $100 (I recently heard $85 at Harbor Freight). If you have a place to store and run a generator (such as a yard) then I would buy a small generator. Otherwise I would pick up a few battery powered air pumps for $15 each that run on 2 d batteries and some airstones. Those will aerate your tank for a few days vs a battery back up that will cost a good $200 and only run your tank for 12-16 hours. You could also get an inverter to run power off your car battery. We recently had a ton of people in my area that lost whole systems because they either didn't have a back-up plan or their back up plan only lasted a few hours instead of the 3-4 days that the power was out. As for heating, running the heater takes a huge amount of power and will drain a battery back up system quickly. In the event of a power outtage you are better off wrapping your tank in blankets and floating water bottles filled with near boiling water to keep your tank warm and using a back up system to run air pumps which don't use as much energy. If you go wtih a generator, make sure to test it regularly and use the right additives with the fuel so that it works properly (my albeit limited understanding is that the ethanol content in most fuels today doesn't work very well with generators if an additive isn't used). Hope this helps!

What do you think the better option would be for a power outage? A battery computer backup that will run a few powerheads for several hours? or A powerpack that has the potential to run multiple items, pumps, heater, etc?

That you are planning is a very good thing! Many wait till the power goes out then ask "what am I going to do?" Too late.

Computer backup batteries don't last long. Get an auto inverter and it can run a small pump. Heat is another issue.

Many solutions require you to be home when the power goes out. The hobby is seeing battery backup tank pumps for sale. They switch on when you are gone. They are pricey.

The real challenge is to figure out a way to have a heater come on automatically when the power goes out. No one has come up with a cheap way to do this. Talked to a fellow reefer recently and he spent $8K on a system to power his whole house automatically when the power goes out.

Unless you want to store several large batteries in your stand that will handle your heater for a length of time, the options are very limited.

What do you think of this power converter? Big enough? Being 300 watts of continous power, I could run all 3 powerheads (4.5 watts each) and even return pump if I wanted (75 wattsh approx.) Or I guess I could plug in heater as well if I ran that only. ???

Last edited:
Back