Backup Power Supply?

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
So last september I had just picked up my tank and was starting to build my stand when we got slammed by Hurricane Ike. I was without power for 17 days. Luckily I didn't have a tank set up at the time. During that power outage I was able to pick up a large gas generator so I'm prepared this time and if the power goes out I can be up and running in minutes. But what about your average thunder storm that might come through and knock out power for a matter of hours? How long can our tanks survive without power? Does anyone have any kind of battery backup? I have one for my computer but those just seem to run long enough for you to save what you're working on and shut down the computer and that's about it. Any low noise power backup systems that will run our tanks for several hours?

Generally, a tank will be fine for several days without lights. Water flow is another story. Power has gone out at my house before (in the summers, due to monsoon storms). Once it starts closing in on 6 hours with no water movement, that's when I start to panic. I don't have any backup power source or generator for my tank, because power outages are pretty rare here, and usually don't last long. But I would say 6+ hours without flow is really risking it. Temperature can be hard to control too, but I'd say water movement is the main priority.

I have a $20 power converter that plugs into my car lighter. If power goes off for more than a few hours I'll run the pump and heater off it and hope the outage doesn't last more than a day or so.

Denis, I use a [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Xantrex-Technologies-852-0400-PowerSource-400-Watt/dp/B000E6LEI2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1242069010&sr=8-1"]power source 400[/ame] made by xantrex - I keep my pumps & temp controllers on it, and if the power goes out, it picks up the load.
Works pretty well! Supposedly will keep things going for about 12 hrs...

Back