Backup Power

beancntr

Back into Salt
We are getting into the season where severe thunder and lightening storms occasionally may make the power go out. This scares me to death, not only that my fish may get cold, but that the sump will overflow (again :frustrat: ) if it happens while I'm not there. Can anyone direct me to a site where I could get a reliable, affordable backup battery? I've looked on the Net, but I can't afford $1000 for a backup system.

And as crafty as I know many of you are - please don't tell me to go to Sears and buy a battery and make one. I WILL kill myself trying to do it. :shock:

Thanks guys!

Hey bean go to Sears and buy a battery and make one.,Nah!Just kidding.I thought they make a backup battery that you hook up to electronic devices,it cuts on automatically when theres a power outage.I don't know what are the best ones or even if they work but heard other people use them,here's one:....Sears.com

I personally don't have one of them but I have a power generator.

Last edited:
They do make a battery back up for stuff like computers,and ive read where folks have used those to back up their pumps and heaters.I have no idea what there called though,plus ive heard there only good for a couple of hours.
I done like Reef though,I bought a generator from my boss.Its electric start,so if the power goes out while im at work,the wife can start it and run a drop cord through the window and plug ALL my tank equipment into it.

my opinion is that is better if you buy a gas power generator, cause battery back ups only works for a few hours..and tank demands are greatter than just a few hours...imagine if a storm put down some electric cables..ill take a while from the electric department to fix the prob..you can buy one that can be plug also to the rest of the house..for some commodities...i guess the investment will pay off later...good luck..

The only problem is; if the power goes out during the day, no one is home to fire the thing up. I need something automatic....

I was up against the same problem a few weeks ago when my husband came home just in time to turn the pump off. I promptly went to Best Buy and bought a Xantrex Powersource 400 (after a little research). It's like 40lbs but it will last for over 8 hours if my power goes out. 8 hours is a long time for a backup system. I only have my powerhead from the sump plugged into it though... that is the only thing that will flood my apt). This is assuming that it is meant to cover me while I am at work, not on vacation. Any electronic battery backup will work, just shop around for the most hours of coverage for your money. Oh yeah, it was only about $150, just a minor investment.

Last edited:
That sounds about what I need WarmWater - just something that will last long enough for me to run home. Usually the power will only flicker or be out less than an hour, but it will never fail that this year because I have the tank it will go out for longer. It is very rare, but stil....better safe than sorry. Thanks all!

Back