Bad Anemone!

michelle

Reefing newb
So as I was warned, my carpet anemone has led to tragedy. I added new lights a while ago and it started moving. It settled into a new spot yesterday (finally) but I guess the fish weren't accustomed to it being in the new spot, because I can't explain yesterdays occurances any other way.

First my male false percula (who has never acknowledged the nem, and hosts to my open brain) swam into the anemone and got stuck. It worked its way free, but it has round circle abrasions from the stinging cells and is not fairing well. he is hovering in place in the current and not eating. I am afraid I don't expect him to make it.

Then my coral beauty swam into the anemone. She died yesterday.

Next my bicolor blenny swam into it and died late last night.

Finally my newly acquired (yes i know the tank is going to be too small but I am upgrading next year and it was just a baby) yellow bellied regal tang swam into the anemone and died.

SO...I brought the anemone to the LFS. (It was a rough day.)

I think I may be getting a galaxy coral for it. I have a place set aside for it that is about a foot away from any other coral-I have read they have quite long sweepers. It's quite attractive. glittery brown with white tips. Anyone have one? Do they grow quickly?

Sorry about your fish.
But thats also why I traded my BTA.It decided it didnt like where it was at after I changed some flow around.Well,It walked right through my SPS.
No more anemones in my reef.

Sorry about your fish.
But thats also why I traded my BTA.It decided it didnt like where it was at after I changed some flow around.Well,It walked right through my SPS.
No more anemones in my reef.

I told the LFS that I don't care if a big beautiful anemone comes into the store and its free, I don't want it.

On the same not though my clowns (at least my female) is hosting to my open brain. It wouldn't open for a few days, but, today it finally opened again, just not very much. Will she cause it damage? Do you think it will get used to her being there and start opening fully?

Some corals get used to the clowns,some dont.If the clown starts feeding the brain,then the coral may accept the clown without any problems.But it could also keep the coral closed to the point it bleaches out and dies.Its just one of those 50/50 chances we all take.

Sorry to hear of the anemone problem. I think the anemones are best kept in a separate tank, thought it's just my own opinion. I was talking to a LFS owner (who I trust and is involved in the local reefing club) and he said the galaxy coral just needs to have some room for the tentacles and is fairly easy to keep. I would keep it at least six inches away from other corals should you decide to get one. I plan on it eventaully as well. They look really nice.

I have a galaxea. It's about 10 inches by 8 inches. Really easy to keep, doesn't require any special feeding, but make sure it's at least 6 inches away from other corals, as it does have long sweepers.

Back