Bad Clown

I would do what bobby suggested..... Keep the aggressive one out for a couple days, rearrange your rock and after you put the aggressor back in keep it dark for 3 days(that way if you have any algae it dies). Its better than taking the fish back and getting nothin for him.

BTW I have a coral banded shrimp I'm having the same problem with.... so i bought a really big sally light foot crab to kick his ass. Ill keep everyone posted if that Lil bastard has finally met his match

It's hard to keep more than one species of clown in a tank. They usually end up fighting, so I think you did the right thing by taking one out. If you do get a second clown, make sure that it is either much larger or much smaller than the clown you already have. That will minimize the chance of them fighting (although they still might). People sometimes forget that clowns are a type of damsel and do have aggressive and territorial tendencies.

And Hawks, soon enough your sally lightfoot will be going after your fish. I have two of them, and I think they may have been behind the disappearance of my wrasse, as they've been chasing after fish for a loooooooong time now. In the end, you may find out that your coral banded shrimp wasn't so bad after all, those sally lightfoots are AWFUL ;).

I am going to take the Orange perc back to the store tommarow and pic up another black clown. Or instead of the black clown, would it be a bad idea to try and add a no-stripe clown? Wouldn't they ignore each other because one has stripes and the other one doesn't?

All species of clown will be aggressive to each other..... no matter black, orange, striped, no striped, purple or blue. The next best thing you could do is what biff suggested.

Sharpies work well.... I made a tie dye clown last week, named her Hippie the Reefer Smoker... get it.... reefer smoker... yet again another brilliant fish dork joke executed by me.

Sharpies work well.... I made a tie dye clown last week, named her Hippie the Reefer Smoker... get it.... reefer smoker... yet again another brilliant fish dork joke executed by me.

Littering and littering and littering and littering and.....

Smokin' the Reefer.:bounce:

Well, I took the Orange Perc back to the store. I picked up another Black Clown and he is acclimating as we speak. I will let you know how this turns out.

Good luck. Remember if they start fighting try and move some rocks around to make them think it is'nt their territory anymore.

Or just remember slapping them on the nose with a newspaper works too..... I read somewhere this guy used a cattle probe every time his clowns fought but that may not be extreme enough for your situation.

yeah moving the rocks would be a good idea, i just hate moving them around when you already get them situated like you want them

I put the agressor in a clear box floating in the tank whie the new guy had the tank for a whole week. When i let it out he was no longer aressive I did this twice In one month . I have three oce and two black ones they all seem to get along.From my situation.

You also have a much larger tank though... I think in a 55 gallon keeping more than one species of clown will be a challenge no matter what you do.

haha i have a similar story. i had two false percula in my 24 gal nano, then i introdced a blakc clown fish into my tank. my blakc perc kept attacking t he femlale false perc so i decided to take out the female and leave the male. theyre doing fine but i want a true perc so that it can host in my RBTA

Yeah moving LR or stirring up sand can even cause a disaster. I turkey baste the LR, have a koralia pushing water under the rock and I a systematically stir up small sections of the sand thru out the tank once every month or two.

Back