Bad nitrate test

Bifferwine

I am a girl
Hi,
I recently had a tank disaster. I'm away from home for four days and the night before I had to leave, I ran my weekly water tests and everything was normal (ammonia 0, nitrates 0). But I became suspicious because since I got my new lights the hair algae has gone crazy, so I went out and bought a new nitrate test, of a different brand. That one said 50+!!! (The chart only went up to 50, so it may be even worse). I did a 50% water change immediately, but had to leave the next morning, so my fiance (who is inept and hopeless when it comes to the animals) ran it again for me yesterday, and it was still at 50+. At least the ammonia is actually 0. I double checked that with a new test too. My old test did not have an expiration date, and I don't know how long I've had it, but it was Aquarium Pharmeceuticals, and it was DEAD WRONG. So here's my question -- I have several corals and my new anemone, I can't do anything else with the tank until I get home in four days, then I'll continue to dilute it out with more water changes. Are my animals irreperably damaged? Anything else I can do??
Thanks...

Nitrate is just stessful fish and inverts,but they should make and not have any ill efects it the trates get undercontrol.Instead of doing 50% changes do back to 25% changes with maybe 1 hour of each other or do the 25% every other day.
You might some seachem denitrate or purigan.Aslo kent make's aproduct call nitrate sponge.Aquarium Pharmeceuticals does have date code on the bottom of the bottle.I use strips for quick test they may not be exact but they are close.
I use seachem test and have gotten good results.Also salifert is great brand to

I need major help. Up until today, I was doing 10 gallon water changes daily. No change in nitrates, they are at about 100 according to my new test (and I've tested my RODI water, I've tested my salt, everything shows up as 0 so it's not a bad test). Today I did a 20 gallon water change and a couple hours later a 15 gallon water change. Nitrates are STILL at 100. The gravel is vacuumed and cleaned. Nothing is dead or decaying. Algae was going crazy, but slowed down a little bit today (I was cleaning off the glass and siphoning it up twice a day). The only thing new is that anemone. Would it be producing this much waste? Both my skimmers are working as they normally do. I have reef carbon in the canister filter, which is clean. WHAT IS GOING ON??? I'm so frustrated and afraid for my animals, I have several starfish and a nudibranch and lots of snails and several types of shrimp, some corals and my anemone, they all appear to be doing okay, but I can't figure out why, when I do water changes everyday, and then a 75% water change, the nitrates don't drop at all! I ordered the Kent Marine nitrate sponge and the Seachem Denitrate, they should arrive tomorrow, I have been using Amquel daily (my tank is sufficiently oxygenated), and I added some more Biozyme. pH is at 8.2, alkalinity is normal, ammonia and nitrites are 0. Anyone, help, please, I'm having a total nervous breakdown. Seriously.

I ran my nitrate test again this morning, and AGAIN it was 100 ppm, so I took a water sample to my LFS and their test read 20 to 40. I checked the expiration date on my test's box, and it's 2/2008 so it appears to be just a bad test. All this stress and freaking out for nothing! I know my nitrates are still a little high, but 20 to 40 is more manageable than 100 every time. So I called Red Sea (the brand) and they are going to send me a new test... Although I probably do not want to use that brand again anyways. Marine Depot (where I bought the test) is crediting me $40 for the trouble. I'm pleased about that. Last night I ordered a new (expensive) skimmer because I thought that maybe the two I have weren't working properly, and it turns out they're working fine!

Last edited:
Somewhere, someone should get all the test companies together and slap them. I have a feeling I get as many wrong tests as right. I have multiple brands and they usually all say something different. Close but always different by some degree. Red Sea is what I was using when I had my old tank over-run with algae.

Also make sure they test the right way. In total nitrate or do you have to use a formula to arrive at that. Each kit is different. Dont expect the nitrates to go to 0 overnight. It may take a little while as they come down with water changes, the denitrate (which I run 24/7) and good maintenance. I'm sure more people will help on this, we all get the problem.

Tony

A refugium would help with the nitrates,but that an addded project of time and money.I keep a bottle of test strips for quick check,if something is out of wack
I use either a sechem or salifert(like this one better).I have heard good thing about a product called AZ-N03.That breaks down the nitrates so your skimmer can remove them.Hmmm

Last night me and a fellow club member went to a persons house to help them with their tank.

The individual had a professional test done at the local water lab that ran around 100$ and showed his nitrates being

4.67 ppm

His little dip tests were reading way above 100, so he was majorily confused and had us come over.

I took my Aquarium Pharm test and he took his Aquarium Phar and Laboot test.

My Aqua Pham = 0-5 ppm
His Aqua Phar = 20
His Laboot = 40-60

So don't feel so confused, because we were all around scratching our heads like a bunch of dumb monkies.

we tested hydrometers at the last club meeting... If you have a deep six hydrometer throw it away... the closest one was off by atleast .004 and some measuring .022 when it was actually .029.

I get a new hydrometer every two months or so now. About eight months ago I was using my "same old" hydrometer, and my water was at 1.023. When doing my weekly water changes, I got the weird feeling that I was using more and more salt each time, so I bought a new one and my water was actually around 1.035. Luckily the change was gradual enough that none of the fish (it was fish only at the time) suffered any damage, but since then I religiously switch them out frequently. I guess this is the way you learn important lessons, from the mistakes you make early on.

Not to scare you, but some of the ones we tested were brand new and off.

A Refractometer can be purchased for around $40 and are alot more accurate an consistent.

Back