Bad Vacation

hibye

Reef enthusiast
So me and my family went to ocean city for about 9 days. Nobody was home to feed the fishes so I gave them a entire cube of mysis shrimp before we left.
I had,

tailbot damselfish
sixline wrasse
yellowwatchman goby

Now I came back yesterday at around 8 o clock and my lights were off due to my new lighting schedule. I figured that they would be fine until tomorrow. Well today I looked at my fish tank and I see a dead damsel and a dead sixline line :grumble:. I couldn't see anything wrong with them except they were dead and that they had really skinny bellies.

I thought that the mysis shrimp and copepods in the tank would keep them fed for the 9 days but I guess I was wrong. I am also thinking now that the goby got a large portion of the cube and the other fishes couldn't get enough(I fed them and left the house, so I didn't see who got who).

What do you think happened? I am going to flush them after this thread. I feel so bad that I starved my fishes to death:frustrat::frustrat::frustrat:

Well, you did successfully kill a damsel(just don't tell Sharkie).That does take some skill. But sorry to hear about the losses. I lost a sixline several months ago. But I would think they would be alright going just 9 days if they had been eating regularly. Do you think the tank got too hot for them?

I live in PA. Plus this summer was/is cold. It is about 77 degrees right now in the tank.

They were in a 29 gallon but I doubt that has anything to do with it except for lack of copepods.

I lost my sixline during a vacation too.
Luckily, he had the common courtesy to wait until i had been home for a couple hours before he clogged the overflow and sent water gushing over the top of my tank.
No idea why he died. I had someone come over and feed the tank with strict instructions, i know it was done right. Just luck i guess.

hibye it was mid to high 80's all week in NJ and PA, your tank prob got to at least low 80's, but I think it was more them not eating for 9 days and you probably didn't have any A/C going on in the house so they got stressed and hungry and died.

Honestly I really don't care for the damselfish but the sixline is so unique and cool I feel really bad it died.

I think that you are right Altohombre.

Hibye hope at least your vacation part was good.
Sorry about your fishies.
Unfortunately they probably starved. That's why I have trained all my fish to eat flake food. I put it into a cheap auto feeder, and set it up so they get some food everyday. That way they can make it through a vacation of up to two weeks.

Congratulations on the great Damsel kill! :lol:

I liked that damselfish.I am glad that my goby didn't die. He is my favorite fish. I can't believe how big he has got since I got him.

My vacation was good other than that. Tommorow I am getting a GBB glock 26 so that will cheer me up :D

Sorry to hear, hibye. That's one of every aquarium hobbyist's nightmare. When I went off for 2 weeks this summer, I had a fish sitter...but I did maintenance the day before I left, and I painstakingly portioned out each day's food for the next 2 weeks so there was no chance of over feeding by mistake. Plus topping off was easy anyway. Maybe you can have a friend feed them for you next time you and your family leave.

That's a good idea, dcan, about teaching them to accept flake food in case you need to travel. While it's not my preferred food, it would definitely sustain the fish through an autofeeder until you get back.

This past weekend we went up to PA. It was supposed to be an overnight trip, so I made sure to top off and feed my fish on friday. Turns out we ended up staying 2 nights. So on the drive home today, I was panicked that my sump water level would be too low. Hehe.

I can't wait to get it! I have a really nice pair of CA goggles that can withstand something like 500FPS. For games I wear a full face mask, mainly because it is required.

When I come home from a 3 day vacation, my fish are ready to bite my finger off. Hungry fish seem to become more aggressive too.

My goby was the only aggresive one in the tank. The fish couldn't had been attacked because they had no bite marks or anything.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey3_i15_omI]YouTube - Dan's Airsoft Guns[/ame]
Glock 26 - Airsoft Weapon Builds

What do you think? I am not a big fan of the loudness of the glock but I live in the woods so it kinds makes up for it. I am shooting in my secret shoot range. It is a trail I made in the woods.

Back