Baffled by baffles

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
Is there a set limit or rule of thumb when placing baffles in a tank? I'm building a sump/fuge for a 20 gallon tank. I want three sections. Will the water pressure mess with things?

Thanks,
Catherine

No. But make sure if you're build baffles for the skimmer that you give yourself enough room. I built my 20L sump before picking the skimmer. When the skimmer showed up I found my skimmer compartment in the sump about 1/32" too small. I split/cracked a baffle trying to twist it around to get it in there.

Give yourself enough spacing between the baffles. If they are too close together the water will have to flow faster to get through them. Fast moving water traps bubbles. If the baffles are spread out more the water will be moving slowly because there is more volume for the same amount of water to flow through. Slow moving water does not trap bubbles - less micro bubbles in the tank.

When I built my sump, I found out how high the water level had to be for the operating performance of the skimmer, and I made that the first baffle that height in the bubble trap. I made the second baffle 1 in. higher than that and 1 in. off the bottom. The third baffle was the same as the first. I run my sump slower than most, so the spacing works out fine

If you are putting the return section in the middle of the sump, you can set the fuge baffle where ever you like, taking in consideration the back wash from a power failure.

I was thinking that I would do the skimmer on one side and in the middle section I would have a couple lines running out, one going to my fuge and one going to a reactor or two. The water would be returned to a third section on the other end or to another tank which would then return to my main tank. Since I figured out how to get through the wood of the wall behind my tank I have a whole utility room just for my sump/fuge! Also, there is a drain in the middle of the floor. I glued in the first piece of acrylic and I'll work out the spacing tomorrow.

Thanks,
C

You may want to consider splitting the line going into the sump from the tank with a tee to both the skimmer and the fuge. You can put a valve on the fuge side to control the fuge flow. You also can put the reactors in with the skimmer area. You can save quite a bit if space doing this.

How big is the sump going to be.

How big is the sump going to be.

Well, the room is empty except the furnace and hot water heater. I'd say no bigger than 6 feet by 12 feet, give or take. :)

Seriously, it's an 18 gallon muck bucket like Biff's.

If I split the line coming from the tank then I'll be putting my icky water into my fuge, since I have to split the line going back to my tank because my pump is so strong, wouldn't it make more sense to use that line?

Can you tell I'm an idiot about this stuff?

Catherine

I thought you were using a tank for the sump. Now it makes a little more sense to me.

I think you want some of your icky water running thru your fuge so your chaeto can do its work! You can also split the return line and return some back into the sump to help control the pump pressure.

No, you are not an idiot at all, just a concerned reefer like the rest of us. Hang in there, we'll figure this out with ya!

Mike, I'm using a 20 gallon tank as my main sump. I'll divide it into three sections, two smaller sections on the ends and a larger one in the middle. The first section will have my skimmer. I think I'm going to set it up to be outside the sump and dump inside the sump in a container of bio-balls. The water will travel through a set of baffles into the middle section. In the middle section I'll have a tiny pump or two that will remove the water and put it into a fuge and my reactor I just ordered filled with filtration media for the stuff the bio-balls won't take care of. The water will be returned into the main sump where it will travel into the third section of the 20 gallon which is basically where my return pump will be. I wish my photoshop wasn't down or I could draw this up because we all know a picture is worth a thousand words..... Anyway, the fuge is currently a big 'ole 20 gallon bucket filled with chaeto, caulerpa and live rock. I've had it set up for a while just waiting 'till I could work out the moving the water part. I'll see if I can get a sketch up so you guys can fix it before I glue anything else.

Thanks so much!
Catherine

Back