Baffled, fish acting differently

Fastlight

Semper FI
Ill try to make this as informative as possible.
29g reef w/ octo hob skimmer
78.5F 1.024salinity 8.2ph and zero ammonia trite and trate

Tank has been up for 2 months now. Fish are about 3 weeks old and acting very normal the entire time. Except today. I just got all the above info 5 min ago. I have 3 yellow tail damsels that are about 1in long each and not overly aggresive. 1 clown 1 firefish and 1 yellow head pistol goby.
These fish are ALWAYS out. Today I came home from work and I only see the clown fish out. Weird. All 3 damsels hiding in different spots, breathing heavily but I see no nipped fins. Fire fish hiding not breathing hard and looking fine. Yellow head goby is sitting at the top of the tank on one of the koralias (most odd) and the clown is acting normally.

I fed the tank trying to coax them out. Only the clown and firefish ate.
All other tank inhabitants are acting fine, including hermits, emerald crab, skunk shrimp, peppermint shrimp and snails.

I have no idea whats going on, all the corals are opened up. and water is fine.

I did a 5 gal water change yesterday, and can only guess this being the cause. But I use ro/di water and this isnt the first water change.

Possibilties?
1. i changed water right after washing dishes. I did rinse them, but I think if a little soap film got in there, the corals would be the first to show it, and doesnt explain why the clown is fine.
2. very long stretch but the yellowtails spawning? 2 are semi close and the biggest of the three is in an area that i guess he could guard eggs, but I dont see any. And the third damsel is very far away. The 2 are also near where the yellow headed pistol goby normally hangs out, and I wonder if they scared him away? But I dont think spawning is the likely cause.
3. The dang fish just got overly aggerive today at work and are cooling off?

Any help would be great thanks.

it could be a lack of oxygen? you have 6 fish in the tank... I'm pretty sure a 30g should only have 3-4 fish in it? I know they are small i'm just trying to think of something that could lead to that....

any known power outages that you're aware of?

No known power outages and there is a lot of surface agitation. One thing i did fail to mention is I added a new koralia 750 yesterday also. What are signs of stray voltage?
Also as far as the fish. I dont think I have to many. If you go with the 1in per gallon rule, and say all 6 fish get 5in long which they wont, thats 30in, I seriously doubt I have to many fish.

Last edited:
1 inch per gallon is the rule for freshwater. The rule for saltwater is 1 inch per 10 gallons, which is where Sharkie is getting 3 to 4 fish for a 30 gallon tank. There's a significant difference between stocking ability in fresh and salt. For a 30 gallon tank I agree -- 3 to 4 small fish, max.

Hmm Guess i never thought the rule was different for saltwater. Needless to say, all parameters are fine, and the water is very agitated, so i highly doubt lack of oxygen. wouldnt all the snails be running to the top?

it could also be lack of terrortory. damsels and clowns must have their own area and will get aggressive as they grow. Trust me, i know this all too well. lol.

Fresh water is different than salt as far as inches. I would suggest against adding more fish

Back