Bamboo banded shark Eating?

mysticflyer

Reefing newb
I have a 300 gallon Saltwater Aquarium and just purchased a Bamboo Shark from the LFS, I was told he was not eating and dosent move much from (The spot where he was in the LFS tank). He is a little over 12" already. and they just wanted to sell him off so I thought I couldnt go wrong for $19.00 if he survived or didnt.

Previous to purchasing him I studied and did as much research as possible (I bought the shaks and rays book, downloaded almose every app that had Bamboo Shark in it, and spent hours on the internet to make sure that I had a bit of Knowlage before I purchase one.

Now, here is my Question: a Majority of the studying I did mentioned that A bamboo Shark may not eat after the first while in the tank (and knowing that he wasnt eating much at the LFS) I was sure he woulldnt eat for me But, only 10 minutes after I put him in the tank he was going all around the tank, Back and forth (still as I am writing this 4 hours later he hasnt stopped swimming) and I decided to try and see if he would eat a silverside, Sure enough he ate 4 of them one after the other. Is this because he is happy being out of the fish store that he is eating and swimming even after the LFS said he never moved and wasnt eating? Or is there something wrong with him that he is eating so much so fast and non-stop tank swimming?

I dont know much about sharks except they need huge tanks...I would take him swimming and eating as a good sign.

It could be they were offering him something he didn't want to eat, or they were having major water quality issues that were effecting him. It's hard to say, but it is good that he is eating again,

I would make sure you introduce a variety of food to him, feeding only one type of foods ends with nutritional issues.

Also now that he is eating, don't go crazy trying to feed him. You can make animals pretty sick that way. Small meals are the way to go and then work your way up to a normal feeding schedule

+1 everyone...eating and active swimming = good :D Pics!

Maybe the lfs tank was also just too small, so he was stressed.

Back