Banggai cardinals going on the red list! If you want one get them now before they're

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by bobby, Jan 12, 2008.

1. bobby

bobby I like to do bad things.

Nevermind I think I jumped the gun. I thought red list was endangered, but I guess it means it is recomended to be endangered.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
    bobby, Jan 12, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. bobby

Re: Banggai cardinals going on the red list! If you want one get them now before they

same deal

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
    bobby, Jan 12, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. bobby

reeffreak

Re: Banggai cardinals going on the red list! If you want one get them now before they

They are getting there.Banggaii are only located in one small area and the aquarium trade is wiping them out.Luckily,tank bred ones will totally replace the wild caught ones.My advice look for tank bred variety also called Kardern cardinals.

reeffreak, Jan 12, 2008
    bobby likes this.
  4. bobby

SSalty Team Liquid Force

Yup, I have heard the same about the cardinals. I personally don't care for them, I think they look like a freshwater fish. But it is sad to hear about the diminishing numbers.

SSalty, Jan 12, 2008
  5. bobby

Thanks reef I didn't know that about the tank raised ones having their own name. I do want a couple for my 29, but not if I'm hurting the wild broods.

bobby, Jan 12, 2008
  6. bobby

reeffreak

I think they only good in large tanks with a nice school of them.Otherwise one single tend to just hover in one place,very boring.They might look kinda bland and boring but it would still be cool to watch the male raise the babies in their mouth.Size for size those fish have this biggest mouth,I had one that was about two inches and could swallow a whole cube.

reeffreak, Jan 12, 2008
  7. bobby

I thought they would do good in a small tank. I was going to buy one maybe two. Yeah I seen them at the LFS before the don't move much but I do like them. I have others that I want to add but none alocally. One deff is the carpenter wrasse. I may just make a order with the docs.

bobby, Jan 12, 2008
  8. bobby

reeffreak

They do fine in small tanks.I just think its more interesting to have a school of them.That way,they will swim around the tank more often.

reeffreak, Jan 12, 2008
  9. bobby

Yeah I think your right on the school being cooler. I might just stick with the other fish I got in mind.

bobby, Jan 12, 2008
  10. bobby

reeffreak

I with you on one of the flasher wrasses.My plans to get a pair.don't don't know which one just yet.

reeffreak, Jan 12, 2008
  11. bobby

Doc I don't work for anybody

I agree. they do remind me of some of the freshwater fish I used to have

-Doc

Doc, Jan 13, 2008
  12. bobby

Damseluver

They are n0cturnal and h0ver in place during the day. They are g00d f0r tanks with m00nlighting, camping 0ut in the darker secti0n and then ambushing micr0fauna attracted t0 the thin m00nlight beem. They can m0ve fast when they are 0n the hunt.

Fun t0 watch after lights 0ut and reminiscent 0f the game fish "sn00k" that d0es the same thing ar0und d0ck lights here in FL 0n the ICW

Damseluver, Jan 18, 2008
  13. bobby

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

I take it that your a snook fisherman,Damsel?

yote, Jan 18, 2008
  14. bobby

Damseluver

Use ta d0 quite a bit kayak fishing and ya cant swing a dead cat 0ut there with0ut hitting a sn00k but f0r s0me res0e the regs 0n this fish are absurd. I think y0u can still keep 0ne if caught during leap year 0n a Friday between 3am and 3:02am.

Damseluver, Jan 18, 2008
  15. bobby

Alexander

does somebody have a broken o key on their keyboard ?!?! my vote is if you want one, I strongly recommend buying tank raised. leave the wild population be before they are completely wiped out. there was a good talk about breeding them on the last talking reefs live

Alexander, Jan 18, 2008
  16. bobby

What is this talking reef live you guys keep bringing up?

bobby, Jan 25, 2008
  17. bobby

Amphibious Old as the Oceans

Go to Talkingreef a popular forum and you can find out about talking reef live.

Amphibious, Jan 25, 2008
  18. bobby

ReefKeeper TalkingReef Live co-host

it is a live call in talk show that is nothing but reef related. we have a show coming up this Sunday at 8pm EST.

Talkingreef - Talkingreef Live (TRL)

hi Dick, good to have your experience hanging around here !!

ReefKeeper, Jan 25, 2008
  19. bobby

OMG no more thakns button!?!!? Well I guess I'll type it.LOL Thanks guys. I'll check it out.

bobby, Jan 25, 2008
  20. bobby

Alexander

I tried experiencing the live deal last week and it was cancelled :cry: and I don't know if I will make it this sunday. I'm moving my 180gal across town on sunday so ill be a bit busy and a lot worn out

Alexander, Jan 25, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question