Banned from Store

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by animalwhisperer, Sep 19, 2006.

1. animalwhisperer

animalwhisperer

I recently went to Petland in my hometown of Olathe Kansas. I was watching a lady talk to the young man in the fish dept. He was telling her alot of misleading info and I didnt want to watch her pay for all he was selling. She was about to purchase a Coralife Super Skimmer. The model for 65g or less. It was "on sale" for $199.99. She got the box then I motioned to her to come over. I told her that I got the same skimmer for $75 from Drs. Foster and Smith. I also told her that a Mirror Butterfly is not reef-safe. After the guy said it was. Then the female manager walked over and asked me to leave her customers alone. I told her what I had overheard and the price hike of the skimmer. She then asked me to leave. I turned and started to walk out when she yelled at me to hurry. I looked back and asked her if it was because I was telling everyone how expensive and overpriced they are. Then she told me to not come back. Just wanted to share, maybe someone else can post and see if there are any more bad stores to stay away from.

animalwhisperer, Sep 19, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. animalwhisperer

bkv1997

I just recently had a horrible experience with Marine Depot.

I ordered a Refractometer that came with a manufacturers defect and they expected me to pay return shipping. When I asked why they said they only cover return shipping on items damaged in shipping. Go through all the trouble etc, the second one I get had the exact same issue.

Needless to say that was my last purchase from Marine Depot if they don't stand behind the products they sell more than that.

Just my 2 cents.

bkv1997, Sep 19, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. animalwhisperer

Bifferwine I am a girl

Petland is horrible in general. I got kicked out (oh, I'm sorry, "asked to leave") of a local one here in AZ several years ago for pointing out that all the guinea pigs they were selling for $35 had severe cases of mites and needed veterinary care immediately (one of them had it so bad it was seizuring). It's not surprising to me that their lack of knowledge and care extends to fish too. In general, I'd say that staff of "general" pet stores (i.e. not fish only) don't know much.

Bifferwine, Sep 19, 2006
  4. animalwhisperer

animalwhisperer

I agree, looks like "mom and pop" stores win handsdown again. This is usual of my area in all industries. Super rich county, super stupid people.

animalwhisperer, Sep 19, 2006
  5. animalwhisperer

Bifferwine I am a girl

I was looking around for test kits a while back, and Petco didn't have any that I wanted and some guy in the fish department told me to try a swimming pool store, "They have test kits".

Bifferwine, Sep 20, 2006
  6. animalwhisperer

animalwhisperer

Your not the only one with Marine Depotitis. I ordered lights and they arrived broke of course. They told me the bulbs were the shippers responsibility, and the non- working fixture was the manufacturer's fault, trying to rid themselves of the situation. I contacted both and they are saying Marine Depot is responsible. So......no new lights and no money in return. I haven't gotten a reply on them sending me new lights or a refund. I've even offered to send them the broken ones first. Its now been more than 3 days since they emailed me. Must not know who they are messing with. Reefers don't take messing with their livestock well. I still have the PCs over the tank but still. Just another bad experience. Guess Drs. Foster and Smith are my only option.

Tony

animalwhisperer, Sep 20, 2006
  7. animalwhisperer

bkv1997

bkv1997, Sep 20, 2006
  8. animalwhisperer

jhnrb

Well I guess I'll weigh in here a bit.

*- when im in a retail store and experiance what has been mentioned above, I just keep to myself if the customer is not someone i personally know. If you dont, the results experianced are predicable. No I agree taking advantage of the public is wrong, but, if the store practices high pricing I go else where and do not involve myself with their customers.

*-I am very surprized to hear the negative feedback on marine depot. I have done business with um a lot and never had a problem, any difficulties were addressed quickly, so thanks for the feed back, seems like something must have changed recently.

*-I have also done business with premium aquatics and am very satisfied with their service, knowledge, and quick responses. (they also stated if any of the merchancise arrives damaged to send it back to them not the manufacturer so they can deal with it).

Happy fishin.

jhnrb, Sep 21, 2006
  9. animalwhisperer

AndyB4784

if you guy's are looking for a store with good prices and great customer service check out DIYReef.com -Ranco Controllers, Refractometers, and DIY Supplies. i've ordered tons of stuff from them and never had a problem. the owner is an active member of michiganreefers.com and stands behind her products 100% check it out.

AndyB4784, Sep 21, 2006
  10. animalwhisperer

bkv1997

I should also note I have ordered from Marine Depot and everything was fine. If the damage on my shipment would have been caused by UPS it also would have been fine, per their policy. Only if it is a manufacturers defect do they expect you to pay for return shipping which in a way was ok..... but didn't make me happy.

But when they sent me the second one the guy on the phone said he was going to walk out to the warehouse and specifically check it before sending me the second one. I receieved it and it was enclosed in packaging and you could tell it had never been opened. I didn't have to pay for shipping back as I refused and said they could take it up with my credit card company.

The way I look at it is mistakes happen and I can look past faulty equipment, leaving out items, etc. as long as its corrected. But when you top that off with bad customer service i'll spend more at your competitors for better service and an ease of mind.

bkv1997, Sep 21, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question