Barry's 120 Gallon Reef

I woke up the next morning to a little pool of water around my sump. Guess when they say don't move an aquarium with water in it,even an inch you should listen to them. I broke the seal along the front at the bottom. I wanted to move some of the dividers and baffles anyways so I asked for a price from my boss for 23 square feet of 1/4" glass. $114...a little pricie for me since I built this one for $50. So I spent a night pulling apart the old sump and cleaning it all up. I turned all the glass around since I couldn't get all the silicone off it. Here it is drying.

0064-NewSump1.jpg

0065-NewSump2.jpg

I dropped a piece of glass off to Lyle and did a few other things for him, and this is what he gave me.
0066-Freebies1.jpg

I installed a door for a friend and since the SWC skimmer I had bought never worked, he gave me this one. Bubble-Magus Nac6a. Needs a pump...it's on order.
0067-BMNac6a.jpg

Here's the new sump under the tank. Just had to add a coupling and put the water back in it.
0068-RebuiltSump.jpg

0073-SumpFull.jpg

Time to spread the substrate.
0070-SubstrateSpreader.jpg

I only used one bag along with 50% of the stuff from the 55 after I rinsed it good.
0072-SubstrateLaid.jpg

After being a week in almost darkness, my kids and I hung the lights. Here's the setup all put together.
0074-Done.jpg

The sump running.
0075-SumpRunning.jpg

The cloudy Full Tank Shot.
0076-CloudyFTS.jpg

Besides my corals being pissed off at me and not opening, the only thing I lost was a Peppermint Shrimp. It hung onto a rock I nuked. He didn't like the plain RODI water. A hermit crab that was in the tote lived. Just plain cold RODI water...no salt. Kinda makes you go HMMMMM...I dripped him and put him in the DT. He's still alive.

A couple new additions.

Scooter Blenny. (Scooter)
0077-Scooter.jpg

Diamond Watchmen Goby. (Spot)
0078-Spot.jpg

Last edited:
I still have to move my frag tank in front of the sump, clean up the wiring and finish the stand & I'm done. That won't be until this weekend. (Long Weekend!! :D ) I'll post more pics when I take them.

It looks good, but doesn't look like you have much live rock in there. Have you put more in since the pictures?

No there's only 45lbs in there. It's what I had from my 55. I wasn't planning on setting the tank up, but with renovating the old room in the basement, I wasn't about to drain the 55, move it, then fill it back up again just to have to take it down again when I bought some more rock and powerheads for the 120. I'll be getting more either the end of this month or the end of next, unless someone buy my 55 then it'll be sooner.

I'm going to guess that Ben (Bi-colour Blenny)& Geo (Geometric Hawkfish) have gone to the big ocean in the sky cause I can't find them any place. At least now Manny (Mandarin Goby) comes out to the front of the tank. Being all bummed out, I went to the LFS to spend myself happy. With my Birthday money in hand I picked up 25lbs of Eco-Reefer Rock.

0082-NewRock1.jpg

0083-NewRock2.jpg

Here's the tank before.
0084-BoringBefore.jpg

And after.
0085-ExcitingAfter.jpg

Here's a closer view going from left to right.
0087-CloseupLeft.jpg

0088-CloseupMiddle.jpg

0089-CloseupRight.jpg

I also put all my corals back in the tank. Just haven't placed them yet as I plan on buying more rock next month.

I went for it. I bought the foxface. I'm not sure on it's name yet, but I'm leaning towards Face since I'm from the A-Team era.
0092-Foxface.jpg

A Sea Hare to take care of the hair algae I have growing. I called it Harry. Man does this thing poop a lot.
0093-SeaHare.jpg

A couple Cardinals. I named them Card and Nail. I have no clue which is which.
0094-CoupleCardinals.jpg

Some Neon Green Mushrooms and I think a Kenya Tree. 20 bucks for both so I didn't really care what it was.
0095-CoupleFrags.jpg

Used a big bucket this time to drip them in.
0096-Aclimating.jpg

Here they are in the tank.
0098-CardandNail.jpg

0099-Face.jpg

Took me forever to point harry out to my kids. They thought it was a rock til it shot out a bunch of poop.
0100-Harry.jpg

0101-KenyaTree.jpg

0102-GreenMushrooms.jpg

I have a feeling that spot & I are going to have a little fight on our hands. He keeps burying my superman mushrooms.
0103-DamnGoby2.jpg

0097-DamnGoby1.jpg

I think I may have to put those on a rock someplace.

Back